Book for Cherenkov radiation problem in Physics GRE

In summary, the person is asking for a book recommendation for studying a problem related to Cherenkov radiation, which is about the interaction of charged particles with matter. They have searched for recommendations but have not found any specific ones. The expert suggests that any course on nuclear and particle physics should cover this topic and recommends the book "Modern Physics" by Gatreau for more in-depth problems. They also advise against the strategy of using one book for each specific problem.
rar0308
08 004.png

This is GR9277, Problem 69.

I know nothing about this thing.
At 'http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/69' someone said it's about Cherenkov radiation.
I think this is about interaction of charged particles with matter.
In what course is this covered?

What book do you recommend for studying this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any course on nuclear and particle physics should cover the Cerenkov radiation cone equation at some point I think. Even if you didn't know that, there's a straightforward analogy between Cerenkov radiation and sonic booms when objects surpass the speed of light or sound (respectively) in the medium through which they travel. Since the index of refraction is n=c/v...

I searched Introductory Nuclear Physics by Krane and introduction to elementary particles by Griffith but I couldn't find it.
What book do you recommend for studying this?

None in particular, but the Schaum's outlines book "modern physics" (Gatreau) has a lot of PGRE-trivia-style modern physics problems like this (although more in-depth).

I think your strategy of "one problem one book" is not the right one.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think your strategy of "one problem one book" is not the right one.
I don't have "one ~ book" strategy.

1. What is Cherenkov radiation and why is it important in Physics?

Cherenkov radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle travels through a medium at a speed greater than the speed of light in that medium. It is important in Physics because it allows us to study the properties of high-energy particles and their interactions with matter.

2. How is Cherenkov radiation related to the Physics GRE?

Cherenkov radiation is a topic that is commonly tested on the Physics GRE. It falls under the category of Electromagnetism and is often included in questions related to special relativity and particle interactions.

3. What are the key concepts to understand in order to solve Cherenkov radiation problems on the Physics GRE?

In order to solve Cherenkov radiation problems on the Physics GRE, you should have a solid understanding of special relativity, the properties of electromagnetic radiation, and how particles interact with matter. You should also be familiar with the Cherenkov radiation formula and how to apply it in different scenarios.

4. How can I prepare for Cherenkov radiation problems on the Physics GRE?

To prepare for Cherenkov radiation problems on the Physics GRE, it is important to review the key concepts mentioned above and practice solving related problems. You can find practice questions in study guides or online resources. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to discuss and solve problems together.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Cherenkov radiation problems on the Physics GRE?

One common mistake when solving Cherenkov radiation problems is forgetting to consider the properties of the medium through which the charged particle is traveling. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the Cherenkov radiation formula, so make sure to carefully read the problem and understand what values are given and what is being asked for.