Derivative of y=cos(a3+x3)What is the derivative of y=cos(a3+x3)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
physics604
Messages
92
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Find the derivative of y=cos(a3+x3)

Homework Equations



Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution



y=cosu

[itex]\frac{dy}{du}[/itex] = -sinu

u=a3+x3

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = 3a2+3x2


[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = -3sin(a3+x3)(a2+x2).

The answer is supposed to be -3x2sin(a3+x3). What did I do wrong?

Any help is much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
physics604 said:

Homework Statement



Find the derivative of y=cos(a3+x3)

Homework Equations



Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution



y=cosu

[itex]\frac{dy}{du}[/itex] = -sinu

u=a3+x3

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = 3a2+3x2



##a## is constant so the derivative of ##a^3## is ##0##.

Please do not insert SIZE commands in your posts. It makes them very hard to follow when quoting them, aside from violating forum policy.
 
Okay, thanks!

I was thinking maybe that was my error, but I wasn't 100% sure.

And I didn't know about the SIZE commands rule, so I'll stay away from them from now on. I just thought they'd be easier to read since I don't know how to make the equations like yours.