Faster than speed of light possible ?

In summary, according to laws of physics, it is not possible to go faster than the speed of light. However, after the big bang, the universe expanded faster than that and reached this expansion rate. I think it's interesting that Inflation took place in a very short amount of time, and that there may be an appearance of faster-than-light speeds having taken place due to it.
bigworld
good day ,

I am not a professional , but I read that in according to laws of physics it is not possible to go faster than speed of light . but I also read that after the big bang in just seconds the universe expanded from a size of an atom to the size of a galaxy . so obviously it expanded faster than speed of light to reach such expansion rates . how can physics describe this ??

Physics news on Phys.org
in case of the "big bang" the expansion did not involve matter but the spacetime itself...

bigworld said:
good day ,

I am not a professional , but I read that in according to laws of physics it is not possible to go faster than speed of light . but I also read that after the big bang in just seconds the universe expanded from a size of an atom to the size of a galaxy . so obviously it expanded faster than speed of light to reach such expansion rates . how can physics describe this ??
I'm also very much an amateur, but I think the most rapid part of the expansion, called Inflation, took place in far less than a few seconds but a trillionth of a trillionth of a second.

The key is that the normal universe maintains the maximum speed of light at c in a vacuum. But if the fabric of space, therefore the "room" in space, inflates, theoretically there may be an appearance of faster-than-light speeds having taken place.

We may find that we have added an epicycle to achieve cover for this phenomena, but I believe it is the best we have now. The theory is far from concrete, I think.

Here's an outside link, and I would encourage you to look for FAQs in the Cosmology section of this site.

Wes

Thats interesting .. thanks i will look at the link

We have a FAQ about this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=508610

Last edited by a moderator:
bcrowell said:
We have a FAQ about this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=508610
Thanks for the quick link, bcrowell.

I'm starting to learn to wisely look for FAQs here first, but my better half was literally dragging me out the door to a Supper when I answered, so I quick punted. Usually when in Rome, it pays to speak the same language and the FAQs are a real gift to make physics more clear to all concerned. So thanks for providing/contributing the onboard FAQ too.

Wes

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

As of current scientific understanding, it is not possible to travel faster than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which matter and information can travel. This means that it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light, let alone surpass it.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. While there have been some theories and experiments that suggest the existence of particles that may travel faster than light, these have not been widely accepted and are still being studied.

3. What happens if an object travels faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down and its mass increases. At the speed of light, time would stop and an infinite amount of energy would be required to accelerate the object further. Therefore, it is not possible for an object to travel faster than the speed of light.

4. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light limit?

Some exceptions have been proposed, such as the concept of wormholes in space, which could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. However, these are still speculative and have not been proven to exist.

5. Could the laws of physics change, allowing for faster-than-light travel in the future?

While it is possible that our understanding of physics may evolve and change in the future, it is highly unlikely that the speed of light limit will be surpassed. This is because the speed of light is deeply ingrained in our current understanding of the universe and has been consistently supported by numerous experiments and observations.