1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1.0kg physics book on slope, and Newton's Third Law?

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.0 kg physics book is on a 20 degree slope. It is connected by a string to a 500 g coffee cup dangling at the bottom side of the incline. The book is given a push up the slope and released with a speed of 3.0 m/s. The coefficients of friction are us = .50 and uk = .20.

a. How far does the book slide?
    b. At the highest point, does the book stick to the slope, or does it slide back down?

2. Relevant equations

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2as

3. The attempt at a solution

So I found four forces: Tension of the rope pulled by the weight, fk (friction force), force of gravity at a 20 degree angle, and normal force.
    n = mgcosx = (9.8)(1)cos20 N.........fk = uk*n = (.2)n = 1.842 N
    T = mass of cup * 9.8 = 4.9 N
    Fg = mgsinx = (1)(9.8)sin20 = 3.35 N

...so I get (Fnet)x = ma = -4.9N - 1.842N - 3.35N = -10.095
    ...so... a = (-10.095)/(1) = -10.095 m/s^2

But when I put this value of acceleration into vf^2 = vi^2 + 2as, or 0=9 + 2(-10.095)s, I get .446m.
    The correct answer is .67m. What did I do wrong? I'm pretty sure it's around the (Fnet)x part.

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Jthunder! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    No, the cup is accelerating, so T will be different.

Either do two F = ma equations (one for the book, one for the cup), and eliminate T, or just treat the book and the cup as a single body, as if it was one-dimensional, and calculate the external forces on it, along that dimension. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook