Have I Labeled 1/f=1/u+1/v Correctly?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around accurately labeling and understanding the thin lens formula, specifically the focal length, distance from the lens to the image, and measuring from the optical center. The individual was initially confused about the focal point and focal length, but after looking it up on Wikipedia and reviewing a visual representation, they have a better understanding. It is suggested to refer to a reliable physics textbook for further clarification and accurate information.
gracy
Have I labeled correctly?
have i labeled it correctly.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like it should be posted in the schoolwork forums, gracy. And are you familiar with the thin lens formula? That is basically what you are asking about. Check it out on wikipedia for more info.

gracy said:
Have I labeled correctly?
Almost. u and v are correct, but not f. f is the focal length of the lens, not the distance from lens to image. (That's what v is.) Look it up!

Likes gracy
Doc Al said:
f is the focal length of the lens, not the distance from lens to image. (That's what v is.)
I got you point.I think the image below greatly explains all the three f,v,u.
diagram10.gif

I was doing following mistakes.
1-I was not considering focal point . If the light rays converge (as in a converging lens), then they will converge to a point. This point is known as the focal point of the converging lens. If the light rays diverge (as in a diverging lens), then the diverging rays can be traced backwards until they intersect at a point. This intersection point is known as the focal point of a diverging lens.
2-I was confused about focal length.Focal length is distance between optical center and focal point.
3-All the distance should be measured from optical center.So ,in the previously attached image i.e
65921-bd501138b1af5041ab392f82387e353b.jpg

u and v was not correct in the sense that the distance was not measured from optical center.I think that's what you meant by
Doc Al said:
Almost u and v are correct

Last edited:
@gracy
Do you have a good old fashioned School Physics Text Book? Many of the questions you have been asking (on this and other topics) are dealt with in books and you can usually rely on them to get things right.
It may depend upon which part of the world you are getting your Science education and I know there are some ridiculously elementary Science courses in some places. If your course is badly lacking, then you really should invest in a decent book. These days, the Internet can get any book to anybody, anywhere. It may be your best way forward.

Likes Doc Al

FAQ: Have I Labeled 1/f=1/u+1/v Correctly?

1. What does the equation 1/f=1/u+1/v mean?

The equation 1/f=1/u+1/v is known as the thin lens equation. It relates the focal length (f) of a lens to the object distance (u) and image distance (v) from the lens. It is used to calculate the position and size of an image formed by a lens.

2. How do you solve for f, u, and v in the equation 1/f=1/u+1/v?

To solve for f, u, and v in the equation 1/f=1/u+1/v, you can use algebraic manipulation. Rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown variable. For example, to find f, you would multiply both sides by (uv) to get f = uv/(u+v).

3. What is the significance of the 1/f=1/u+1/v equation in optics?

The equation 1/f=1/u+1/v is an important equation in optics as it helps in understanding the behavior of light when passing through a lens. It is used to calculate the focal length of a lens and to predict the position and size of an image formed by the lens.

4. Can the 1/f=1/u+1/v equation be applied to all types of lenses?

Yes, the 1/f=1/u+1/v equation can be applied to all types of lenses, including convex, concave, and combination lenses. This equation is based on the thin lens approximation, which is applicable to all types of lenses as long as the thickness of the lens is small compared to the radii of curvature of its surfaces.

5. How does the 1/f=1/u+1/v equation relate to the formation of images by lenses?

The 1/f=1/u+1/v equation is directly related to the formation of images by lenses. It helps to determine the position and size of an image formed by a lens. The focal length of a lens plays a crucial role in determining the magnification and location of the image formed by the lens. This equation also shows the inverse relationship between the object distance (u) and image distance (v) from the lens, which means that as one increases, the other decreases.

Back