1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1 uF Capacitor discharging into a 2uF capacitor

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    This is a variant of the classic capacitor discharging into a capacitor problem and I’m having some trouble reasoning it out to my satisfaction…

2 parallel capacitors (one 1 uF and one 2uF) with a switch and a 100 Ohm resistor between them. The 1 uF capacitor is charged to 100V and the 2 uF capacitor is discharged. I’m trying to draw plots of the voltage across each capacitor vs. time after the switch closes. I feel a bit stuck on the math for the unequal capacitor values and the impact on the time constants and voltage levels, but maybe I’m just over-thinking it. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Lefty806, welcome to PF.

You'll have to show the details of your current attempt(s) in order for us to see how to help you.

EDIT: To start with, note that the capacitors are NOT actually in parallel since there is a resistor between one of the pairs of capacitor leads -- the capacitors are not actually connected to each other at both ends.

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    Can you show your circuit diagram

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Thanks for already replying. I will post what.

6. Feb 20, 2012 #5
    Sorry, mobile website mistake on my part...
    I will post what I can in regards to previous work and a schematic as soon as I can. Couple hours or so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook