Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 1 uF Capacitor discharging into a 2uF capacitor

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    This is a variant of the classic capacitor discharging into a capacitor problem and I’m having some trouble reasoning it out to my satisfaction…

2 parallel capacitors (one 1 uF and one 2uF) with a switch and a 100 Ohm resistor between them. The 1 uF capacitor is charged to 100V and the 2 uF capacitor is discharged. I’m trying to draw plots of the voltage across each capacitor vs. time after the switch closes. I feel a bit stuck on the math for the unequal capacitor values and the impact on the time constants and voltage levels, but maybe I’m just over-thinking it. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Lefty806, welcome to PF.

You'll have to show the details of your current attempt(s) in order for us to see how to help you.

EDIT: To start with, note that the capacitors are NOT actually in parallel since there is a resistor between one of the pairs of capacitor leads -- the capacitors are not actually connected to each other at both ends.

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    Can you show your circuit diagram

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Thanks for already replying. I will post what.

6. Feb 20, 2012 #5
    Sorry, mobile website mistake on my part...
    I will post what I can in regards to previous work and a schematic as soon as I can. Couple hours or so.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook