10S4P with Lithium ion battery; Question on the calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Panasonic NCR-18650 cylindrical cells for a BEV, and the confusion around the voltage and energy density calculations. The supplier claims that a 10S4P configuration supplies 417 Wh, but the calculations show only 41.76 Wh. The conversation also touches on the difference between connecting cells in a 10S4P format versus a 40P format, and the voltage and current specifications of the Brusa HSM1-10.18.13 motor. The speaker mentions that they will document their progress in the Automotive engineering forums, but their contract prohibits them from sharing online.
marellasunny
I am planning to use the Panasonic NCR-18650 cylindrical cells for a BEV (Battery Electrical Vehicle). As it would be easier to buy ready-made modules, I have found a supplier selling a Li-ion pack that delivers 417 Wh(or in other words 11.6 Ah) at 36 V (something like what this guy uses... http://www.electricbicycleworld.com/36V-11-6Ah-Lithium-Ion-Frame-Bottle-Mount-p/hx-bb-11.6ah-36v.htm ). Upon further inquiry, he says its a 10S4P i.e 10 in series and 4 "strings"(whatever that means) in parellel.

The Voltage and Energy density calculation part is where I get confused:

The panasonic datasheet says that each individual cell has 10.44 Wh of energy and supplies it at 3.6 V.
So,

10 cells in Series → 36 V and 10.44 Wh

IF I arrange these cells in 4 "parallel" rows, I get → 36 V and 41.76 Wh. But, the guy claims 10S4P supplies 417Wh. Where am I going wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
10 cells in Series → 36 V and 10.44 Wh

Where am I going wrong?

You are keeping the same watt/hr value despite the increase in number of cells.

P=IE

Likes 1 person
BTW I have an old tadpole recumbent trike I have thought about motorizing as well. I would enjoy watching your progress as you build.

montoyas7940 said:
BTW I have an old tadpole recumbent trike I have thought about motorizing as well. I would enjoy watching your progress as you build.

My build will be from time-to-time be posted in the Automotive engineering forums in Physics forums. I would love to document and share the information online but unfortunately my contract blocks me from doing so. Neverthess...you'll find me in the AE forum :).

Last question:

What is the difference between connecting the cells in a 10S4P format('TEN' 18650 cells in Series arranged in 4 columns connected in parallel) as compared to connecting the cells in a 40P (all 40 cells in parallel) ?

10S4P-pack gives me 36 V and 417 Wh and 11.6 Ah.

40P-pack on the other hand gives me 3.6 V and 417 Wh and 116 Ah. ( like this pack here...http://www.kreiselelectric.com/en/technology/battery-system/battery-pack/ )

My Brusa HSM1-10.18.13 motor has a specfication of 360 V - 400 V and max RMS current of 300A.

marellasunny said:
Last question:

What is the difference between connecting the cells in a 10S4P format('TEN' 18650 cells in Series arranged in 4 columns connected in parallel) as compared to connecting the cells in a 40P (all 40 cells in parallel) ?

10S4P-pack gives me 36 V and 417 Wh and 11.6 Ah.

40P-pack on the other hand gives me 3.6 V and 417 Wh and 116 Ah. ( like this pack here...http://www.kreiselelectric.com/en/technology/battery-system/battery-pack/ )

My Brusa HSM1-10.18.13 motor has a specfication of 360 V - 400 V and max RMS current of 300A.

I'm not sure what you are asking regarding the difference. But the voltage and current you are considering can be very dangerous. You need an expert.

1. How do I calculate the total voltage of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery?

The total voltage of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery can be calculated by multiplying the number of cells in series (10) by the nominal voltage of each cell (typically 3.7V). In this case, the total voltage would be 37V.

2. What is the capacity of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery?

The capacity of a battery is measured in ampere-hours (Ah). To calculate the capacity of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery, you would multiply the capacity of each individual cell (in Ah) by the number of cells in parallel (4). So, if each cell has a capacity of 2.5Ah, the total capacity of the battery would be 10Ah.

3. How do I determine the total energy of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery?

The total energy of a battery is measured in watt-hours (Wh). To calculate the total energy of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery, you would multiply the total voltage (in V) by the total capacity (in Ah). In this example, the total energy would be 370Wh.

4. What is the maximum discharge rate of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery?

The maximum discharge rate of a battery is typically given as a C-rating, which is a measure of the battery's capacity. To calculate the maximum discharge rate of a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery, you would multiply the capacity of each individual cell (in Ah) by the number of cells in parallel (4) and then multiply that by the C-rating. So, if each cell has a capacity of 2.5Ah and a C-rating of 2C, the maximum discharge rate would be 20A.

5. How do I know if a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery is suitable for my application?

The suitability of a battery for a specific application depends on various factors such as voltage, capacity, and discharge rate. To determine if a 10S4P with Lithium ion battery is suitable for your application, you would need to consider the specific requirements of your application and compare them to the specifications of the battery. It is also important to consult with a battery expert or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure proper usage and safety.