Calculation of the battery pack voltage for an EV

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final battery voltage for an electric vehicle. An automotive engineer is seeking clarification on whether putting together 100 individual modules in series, each running at 3.6V, will reach the required voltage of 360V for the DC motor. The specified power of the motor is 93 kW, which results in a current of 258 Amps, causing concern for the engineer.
marellasunny
I'm a Automotive engineer and hence lack the electrical engineering expertise that you might expect.

This is related to a doubt I have in calculating the final battery voltage for an electrical vehicle. This is just a calculation query. I have a module consisting of 12 individual Li-ion cells that together supply a voltage of 3.6V and have a combined battery capacity of 125.25 Wh. Eventually, my entire battery pack powers a DC motor that's specified to run between 360V-400V.

Question:
Is it enough that I put together 100 of these individual modules in series (each running at 3.6V) to reach a value of 360V, thereby concurring to the specs. of the DC motor? or are there other things from the DC motor data I need to take into account?

Engineering news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
I'm a Automotive engineer and hence lack the electrical engineering expertise that you might expect.

This is related to a doubt I have in calculating the final battery voltage for an electrical vehicle. This is just a calculation query. I have a module consisting of 12 individual Li-ion cells that together supply a voltage of 3.6V and have a combined battery capacity of 125.25 Wh. Eventually, my entire battery pack powers a DC motor that's specified to run between 360V-400V.

Question:
Is it enough that I put together 100 of these individual modules in series (each running at 3.6V) to reach a value of 360V, thereby concurring to the specs. of the DC motor? or are there other things from the DC motor data I need to take into account?
You'll get 360 V in this way, but what is specified power of DC motor?

Zoki: Specified power of motor is 93 kW. This apparrently is a AC motor, sorry for the wrong info.
93000/360V= 258 Amps.
I get a feeling this a bit too much.

1. How do you calculate the battery pack voltage for an EV?

The battery pack voltage for an EV can be calculated by multiplying the number of cells in the battery pack by the individual cell voltage. For example, if the battery pack has 100 cells and each cell has a voltage of 3.7V, the total battery pack voltage would be 370V.

2. What is the importance of calculating the battery pack voltage for an EV?

The battery pack voltage is important because it determines the overall performance and range of the EV. A higher battery pack voltage can provide more power and longer range, while a lower battery pack voltage may result in reduced performance and range.

3. How does the battery pack voltage impact the charging time of an EV?

The battery pack voltage can impact the charging time of an EV as it determines the amount of energy the battery can hold. A higher battery pack voltage means more energy can be stored, resulting in a longer charging time. However, with advancements in charging technology, the charging time for EVs has significantly decreased.

4. What factors can affect the battery pack voltage for an EV?

There are several factors that can affect the battery pack voltage for an EV, including temperature, driving habits, and battery degradation. Extreme temperatures can impact the performance and longevity of the battery, while aggressive driving can drain the battery faster. Battery degradation, which occurs over time, can also affect the overall voltage of the battery pack.

5. Can the battery pack voltage be changed or upgraded in an EV?

In most cases, the battery pack voltage cannot be changed or upgraded in an EV. The voltage is determined by the number and type of cells used in the battery pack, which is typically specific to the make and model of the EV. However, advancements in battery technology may allow for upgrades in the future.