Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of the battery pack voltage for an EV

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    I'm a Automotive engineer and hence lack the electrical engineering expertise that you might expect.

This is related to a doubt I have in calculating the final battery voltage for an electrical vehicle. This is just a calculation query. I have a module consisting of 12 individual Li-ion cells that together supply a voltage of 3.6V and have a combined battery capacity of 125.25 Wh. Eventually, my entire battery pack powers a DC motor that's specified to run between 360V-400V.

Question:
    Is it enough that I put together 100 of these individual modules in series (each running at 3.6V) to reach a value of 360V, thereby concurring to the specs. of the DC motor? or are there other things from the DC motor data I need to take into account?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2014 #2
    You'll get 360 V in this way, but what is specified power of DC motor?

4. Dec 5, 2014 #3
    Zoki: Specified power of motor is 93 kW. This apparrently is a AC motor, sorry for the wrong info.
    93000/360V= 258 Amps.
    I get a feeling this a bit too much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook