12 volt generation of a sustained arc

In summary, Chuck is looking for a device that can generate a sustained arc while utilizing only a 12 volt power source. He appears to be looking for something to power an engine, and he is concerned about the safety of the device.
chuck85210
I need help finding a device that can generate a sustained arc while utilizing only a 12 volt power source. Does anyone have any ideas? Arc should be able to jump a 1 and a half inch gap.
Also what materials should I use for the electrodes that would not degrade over time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
it takes 25000 volts to jump and air gap of 0.025 inch...with 12 volts...good luck with that 1.5 inch gap

how is that posible when a 60,000 volt stun gun can create an arc of 1 inch with a 9volt battery?
thanks for your input

chuck85210 said:
how is that posible when a 60,000 volt stun gun can create an arc of 1 inch with a 9volt battery?
thanks for your input

I was going to suggest just that. Will it work for you? What in the world is your application?

application is ozone generater but I need an array of probably 8 arcs for the amount of ozone needed

also its an automotive application

it seems you are correct as I checked into tyhe stun guns and the ones capable of creating an arc that I am looking for requires 4.5 million volts. at 60.00 a piece I think they will work nicely

any air gap spark discharge can disrupt local communications based upon the frequency
be careful that the FCC does not get mad at you
those guys in black suburbans have very little sense of humor,
(trust me on this one)

dr

will keep that in mind

just purchased 5 4.5 million volt stun guns for 35.00 each I'll use an ozone detector to see if I'm in the ballpark

I don't believe you need an arc to generate ozone, just an intense electric field. Passing air through an air dielectric capacitor charged to a high voltage should do the trick without creating an arc.

the arc also creates other compounds that are desireable for my application

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
For the people reading who aren't familliar with ozone generation:

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/OZ/ozone.html

In particular, breathing it causes permanent damage to lungs.

Good info! Especially this:

Ozone is highly unstable and can explode with little provocation.

So Chuck, how much experience do you have in working with hazardous materials?

wow! thanks for the info but it is an effect I was counting on I will do further research before proceeding. combustion is part of the experiment and I will take extra precautions with ventilation. You are a wealth of information and I appreciate and take it under advisement.

additionally, ozone degrades any rubber, and speeds up the dry rot process
so...metal lines would be safer if pumping this
not sure about plastic

dr

thanks for the info I am taking all advice into consideration you guys are saving me a lot of time and money experimenting

Out of curiousity, what is your reason for producing ozone?

It sounds (from reading your posts) as if you are trying to produce ozone to use as a combustible fuel to drive an engine of a vehicle. Some sort of variation on an electric powered car perhaps?

my use is proprietary I would rather not discuss it. but it is a suppliment not direct fuel.
only and aid to combustion of a less combustable material. The amounts of ozone I will be producing are small and I promise I will not be blowing anything up.

Fair enough. Thread closed.

What is 12 volt generation of a sustained arc?

12 volt generation of a sustained arc refers to the process of creating a continuous electric arc using a 12 volt power supply. This can be achieved by using a high voltage transformer or by using a series of batteries.

What is the purpose of generating a sustained arc using 12 volts?

The purpose of generating a sustained arc using 12 volts is to produce a high temperature plasma that can be used for various applications such as welding, cutting, and heating. This method is more cost-effective and accessible compared to higher voltage methods.

What factors affect the sustainability of a 12 volt arc?

The sustainability of a 12 volt arc is affected by the type and quality of the power supply, the distance between the electrodes, the type of gas used, and the environmental conditions such as humidity and temperature. These factors can impact the stability and intensity of the arc.

Can a 12 volt arc be dangerous?

Yes, a 12 volt arc can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. While it may not be as powerful as higher voltage arcs, it can still cause burns and electrical shock. It is important to always wear protective gear and use caution when working with a sustained arc.

What are some common uses for 12 volt generation of a sustained arc?

12 volt generation of a sustained arc has various practical uses such as melting and fusing metals, igniting fuel, and sterilizing medical equipment. It is also used in scientific research for studying plasma, and in entertainment for creating special effects such as lightning and sparks.