1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

12g CO2 cartridge energy in J? please help

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    I would love to know much total energy, in Joules is in a typical paintball/airsoft 12g CO2 cartridge?

Thanks everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the volume and the pressure?

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    12 grams of liquid CO2. and CO2 when under liquid under room temp makes about 850psi as far as I know.

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

berkeman

Paintball guns use liquid CO2? I had no idea. I though it was just compressed CO2 gas like my old pellet guns...

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5

berkeman

A quick Google search shows more info about the cartridges -- looks to be a mix of liquid and gas before the cartridge is first pierced:

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_About_CO2_December_2003/6

Learn something new here at the PF every dang day! :smile:

7. Apr 18, 2013 #6
    Ok so any idea about the energy 1 cartridge holds? even a rough estimate would be great.

8. Apr 18, 2013 #7
    As a very rough approximate I have a semi-auto .177 CO2 rifle (Crossman brand, model name unknown) with 12 round speed-loaders. It gets 4 full speed load clips on each 12gm CO2 cartridge before I start to notice a degradation in trajectory. The muzzle energy is 8 ft/lb @ 1.36 joules per ft/lb. This would give 8 x 1.36 x 48 = 522 joules until the pressure of the gas drops to the point where I change the cartridge.

However I suspect the true energy is higher as this rifle seems to waste a lot of gas. There is significant noticeable gas blow back and CO2 smell from the weapon, which does not happen with some other models.

BTW I we are not measuring the actual energy of the gas (that would require e=mc^2) but the usable energy from gas pressure.

9. May 9, 2013 #8
    Yes I was asking about usable energy from pressure

10. May 9, 2013 #9

Danger

Gold Member

This isn't useful to the question, but perhaps of interest. I had a Crossman CO2 pellet pistol, and so always had a few cylinders kicking about. One time at my friend's place, I wedged one into the latticework of a corncrib with the nipple pointed toward a protected position. From that position (behind a cast-iron cultivator), I proceeded to lay the crosshairs of a 4X scope on a .22 rifle upon said nipple and let loose. All that I saw at first was a massive cloud of fog and dry ice crystals. After a second or so of looking around, my buddy pointed upward, and there was this little silver flash departing the area at about a 60° angle, at least 100 metres in altitude and still climbing. We never figured out where it landed.
    Needless to say, I don't recommend this as a home project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook