1500w electric space heater problem

In summary, a 1500W electric resistance space heater with a voltage source of v(t)=120√(2) sin(2pi60t)V has a thermostatically controlled switch that turns on for 5 minutes and off for 7 minutes. The maximum instantaneous power is 3000W, the average power over the 12-minute cycle is 635W, and the electric energy converted to heat is either 635 Joules or 0.01kWH.
tingling

Homework Statement

*An electric resistance space heater rated at 1500W for a voltage source of v(t)=120√(2) sin(2pi60t)V has a thermostatically controlled switch. The
heater periodically switches on for 5 min and off for 7 min. Determine
(a) the maximum instantaneous power, (b) the average power over the
12-min cycle, and (c) the electric energy converted to heat in each 12-min
cycle.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. the maximum instantaneous power is twice of the rating right? 3000Watts?

2. and average power is the integral of instantaneous over time, divided by the time interval? but can't quite figure out what values to use.
3. for energy we use e=vit? am i supposed to multiply just the amplitudes of both voltage and current with time in seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
The power rating for an electrical appliance will be the RMS value so the peak input power (V2/R) will be twice as much.

For part 2) I would use the RMS value multiplied by the mark/space ratio eg

1500W * 5/12 = 635W

For part 3) you have a choice. You can either specify the number of Joules converted (remembering that a Watt is a Joule per second) or you can convert "635W for 12 min" to kWH. Both answer the question but I'd do both to be safe.

thanks cwatters.
much appreciated..

1. How can I troubleshoot a 1500w electric space heater that won't turn on?

First, check to make sure that the heater is plugged in and that the outlet is functioning properly. Next, check the heater's power switch and make sure it is in the "on" position. If the heater still won't turn on, there may be an issue with the heating element or thermostat and it may need to be replaced.

2. Why is my 1500w electric space heater making strange noises?

It is normal for electric space heaters to make some low humming or clicking noises while in operation. However, if the noise is loud or continuous, it may be due to a loose or faulty part inside the heater. It is best to unplug the heater and have it inspected by a professional to avoid potential safety hazards.

3. Can a 1500w electric space heater be left on overnight?

It is not recommended to leave an electric space heater on overnight while you are sleeping. These heaters are designed for short-term use and can be a fire hazard if left on for extended periods of time. It is best to turn off and unplug the heater before going to bed.

4. How can I maintain my 1500w electric space heater?

To maintain your electric space heater, make sure to clean and dust the unit regularly to prevent any buildup that could potentially cause a fire. It is also important to check the power cord for any fraying or damage and to never use an extension cord with the heater. Additionally, have the heater inspected by a professional at least once a year to ensure it is in proper working condition.

5. Is it safe to use a 1500w electric space heater in a bathroom?

No, it is not safe to use an electric space heater in a bathroom. The high levels of moisture in a bathroom can cause damage to the heater and create a potential electrical hazard. If you need to heat your bathroom, consider using a bathroom safe heater specifically designed for this purpose.