1st order linear differential eq. using integrating factor

In summary, to solve the initial value problem for y(x) = ?, you will first multiply all terms by 1/x to get it in the correct form of dy/dx + 7y/x = 2x^2. Then, you will use the integrating factor M(x) = e^∫7/x dx = x^7 to multiply it over the entire equation. This will reduce the equation to y(x)M(x) = Integral(M(x)Q(x)dx) + C. To solve for y(x), you will integrate and plug in the initial condition of y(1) = 18, giving you the final solution of y(x) = (x^10+89)/(5x^7).
muddyjch

Homework Statement

Solve the inital value problem for y(x); xy′ + 7y = 2x^3 with the initial condition: y(1) = 18.
y(x) = ?

Homework Equations

dy/dx +P(x)y=Q(x), integrating factor=e^∫P(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiplied all terms by 1/x to get it in correct form dy/dx+7y/x=2x^2
integrating factor=e^∫7/x dx=x^7
here is where i get lost do i multiply everything back into the original eq. or am i already off. I am not getting the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's just a typo, but you might want to revise your integrating factor.

Right.
[tex]\int \frac{7 dx}{x} \neq x^7[/tex]

muddyjch said:
here is where i get lost do i multiply everything back into the original eq. or am i already off. I am not getting the correct answer.

Once you get the correct integrating factor M(x) you will multiply it out over entire equation, on both sides. Your equation will then reduce to y(x)M(x)=Integral(M(x)Q(x)dx) + C. to get y(x) you will integrate and plug in the initial conditions.

y(x) = (Integral(M(x)Q(x)dx) + C) / M(x)

y(x)=(x^10+89)/(5x^7)

1. What is a 1st order linear differential equation?

A 1st order linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a first derivative of a dependent variable and a function of that variable. It can be written in the form of dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x and y is the dependent variable.

2. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to solve a 1st order linear differential equation by multiplying it to both sides of the equation. It helps to convert the original equation into a simpler form that can be easily solved.

3. How do you find the integrating factor of a 1st order linear differential equation?

To find the integrating factor, you need to first determine the coefficient of the dependent variable in the equation. Then, you can use the formula e^(integral of P(x)dx) to calculate the integrating factor, where P(x) is the coefficient of the dependent variable.

4. What are the steps to solve a 1st order linear differential equation using integrating factor?

The steps to solve a 1st order linear differential equation using integrating factor are:
1. Identify the dependent variable and its coefficient in the equation
2. Calculate the integrating factor using the formula e^(integral of P(x)dx)
3. Multiply the integrating factor to both sides of the equation
4. Simplify the new equation and solve for the dependent variable
5. Check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation

5. What are some real-life applications of 1st order linear differential equations using integrating factor?

1st order linear differential equations using integrating factor have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include modeling population growth, predicting the rate of cooling of a hot object, and calculating the rate of drug concentration in the body over time.