1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st year engineering physics problem

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    Im having troubles with this question for my assignment...

Determine the time required for a car to travel 1km along a road if the car starts from rest, reaches a max speed at some intermediate point, and then stops at the end of the road. The car can accelerate at 1.5 m/s^2 and decelerate at 2 m/s^2.

I thought about sing the constant acceleration formulas (s= s0 +v0t+1/2at^2 V=v0+at) and letting v=v1, s=s1, t1 to be the time at which acceleration switches. make 4 equations first 2 using s1 and v1. second 2 using 1000m and v2=0 while v0=v1 (using t2-t1 for this part). I did the subbing in and it all turned into a mess. Anyone know of a easier way to approach this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like the right approach. Try again. Look for ways to simplify, try different routes. It is not uncommon to have to go back and try again. Don't give up.

If you show us your algebra, we may be able to find errors.

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    my equations are:

s1=1/2at1^2 v1=at1
    1000m=s1+v1(t2-t1)+1/2a(t2-t1)^2 v2=0=v1+a(t2-t1)

Those are my equations...I think i know what to do, but setting it up is the problem. Before I move on, do they seem correct?

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    Hello there. You have 2 parts to your solution. It is stated in the question itself.
    Phase 1 is acceleration phase from rest to a certain x
    phase 2 you have deceleration from a new initial velocity and a remaining x

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5
    Yes that is true, Im just waiting on someone to check if my equations are correct.

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6
    manipulate your eq to find your first Time

8. Jan 19, 2008 #7
    ok i figured it out, thanks for your replies.

9. Jan 20, 2008 #8
    Great Job Vash

10. Jan 20, 2008 #9

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?