Pulley on Incline: Finding Forces & Tension

In summary: Oh okay, I see what you mean now. So, the net force would have to be greater than just the gravitational force in the x direction. Therefore, the tension force would have to be greater than just the weight of B, since that alone wouldn't be enough to overcome the gravitational force and cause acceleration.In summary, the tension force on block A must be greater than just the weight of B in order for the forces to be at rest or for A to move up the ramp. Additionally, the net force in the x direction must be greater than just the gravitational force alone.
Riman643
Homework Statement
Body A in the figure weighs 93 N, and body B weighs 57 N. The coefficients of friction between A and the incline are μs = 0.40 and μk = 0.22. Angle θ is 47°. Let the
positive direction of an x axis be up the incline. What is the acceleration of A if A is initially (a) at rest, (b) moving up the incline, and (c) moving down the incline?
Relevant Equations
fs = Nμs
fk = Nμk
F = ma
a) I figured this part out. Because A is at rest that means the acceleration is 0

b&c) I am completely lost how to go about this. I drew a free body diagram for A and I was able to determine 4 forces acting on it.

1: The Gravitational force on A (GA). Using the angle (θ), and the incline as my x-axis I was able to determine
GAx = GAsin(θ) = 93sin(47) = 68.02 N
GAy = GAcos(θ) = 93cos(47) = 63.43 N

2: The Normal force on A (NA). This is equal to GAy.
NA = GAy = 63.43 N

3: The static and kinectic frictional forces on A (fsA, fkA). I found these using the static and kinetic friction coefficients (μsA, μkA) and the Normal force.
fsA = NAμsA = 0.40(63.43) = 25.37 N
fkA = NAμkA = 0.22(63.43) = 13.95 N

4: The Tension force on A (TA). It is very tempting to say that it is equal to weight of B, but for the forces to be at rest or for A to move up the ramp TA would have to be much greater.

I really need help in 1) Finding TA and 2) Figuring out how the two frictional forces play a role in this. Since A would already be moving in either direction I feel like I would need to use kinetic friction somehow, but then, what would the point of including static friction in the problem? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• img1352880023991_5362570821946429.gif
    img1352880023991_5362570821946429.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org
Riman643 said:
Because A is at rest
It is initially at rest. It is not guaranteed to remain at rest.
Riman643 said:
fs = Nμs
That is not generally true. What is the correct version?
Riman643 said:
very tempting to say that it is equal to weight of B, but for the forces to be at rest or for A to move up the ramp TA would have to be much greater.
Don't confuse motion with acceleration.

Thanks for the reply but I am still lost. I got part “a” of this problem right. I know the acceleration is the net force of the block in one direction divided by the mass of A. What I am having trouble determining is how to calculate the net force. Going up the ramp the net force would have to be greater than the static force and gravitational force in the x direction. But if it’s moving I would also have to factor in the kinetic friction force right? I’m just confused on how to tie it all together.

Riman643 said:
I got part “a” of this problem right.
You got the right answer by chance; the reasoning is wrong.

First step is to decide whether static friction is enough to prevent motion. For that, you need to get your standard equation for static friction right. Can you see what is wrong with the equation you quoted? Hint: it's the bit in the middle.

For parts b and c you are given that the block is moving initially, so static friction is irrelevant.

Likes Riman643
haruspex said:
You got the right answer by chance; the reasoning is wrong.

Could you explain how? If the object is at rest or at a constant velocity that would mean the acceleration is zero, right?

haruspex said:
First step is to decide whether static friction is enough to prevent motion. For that, you need to get your standard equation for static friction right. Can you see what is wrong with the equation you quoted?

Would it be that fsA <= NAμsA?

haruspex said:
For parts b and c you are given that the block is moving initially, so static friction is irrelevant.

Okay so that would mean if the block is moving up the ramp (along the x - axis in the free body diagram) that the net force would have to be greater than the kinetic friction and the gravitational force in the x direction.
So:
TA > fkA + GAx

Last edited:
Riman643 said:
If the object is at rest or at a constant velocity that would mean the acceleration is zero, right?
Yes, but you are not told it remains at rest. You are told it is initially stationary; it could immediately accelerate. A stone thrown straight up is instantaneously at rest at the top of its flight, but it accelerates down at g all the while.
Riman643 said:
Would it be that fsA <= NAμsA?
Yes.
Riman643 said:
Okay so that would mean if the block is moving up the ramp (along the x - axis in the free body diagram) that the net force would have to be greater than the kinetic friction and the gravitational force in the x direction.
No. As I posted you are confusing motion with acceleration. Consider the stone again. When you throw it up it moves up, but the acceleration is down.

haruspex said:
No. As I posted you are confusing motion with acceleration. Consider the stone again. When you throw it up it moves up, but the acceleration is down.

So would that mean that the acceleration when it is moving up or down the ramp would be the same? And how would I figure this out? I tried subtracting the Tension force from the sum kinetic friction force and gravitational force in the x direction and found the difference to be 2.99 N. I then divided this force by the mass to give me the acceleration but it was wrong.

Riman643 said:
So would that mean that the acceleration when it is moving up or down the ramp would be the same?
Only if all the forces are the same in the two cases, in magnitude and direction. Would they be?
Riman643 said:
tried subtracting the Tension force from the sum kinetic friction force and gravitational force in the x direction and found the difference to be 2.99 N
You don't know the tension yet, so you can't do that.
There are two masses, undergoing the same magnitude of acceleration and subject to opposite ends of the same tension. You need a FBD for each.

haruspex said:
Only if all the forces are the same in the two cases, in magnitude and direction. Would they be?

Yes? I have no idea at this point.

Riman643 said:
Yes? I have no idea at this point.
Think about the kinetic friction force direction.

Likes Riman643
Thanks! I was able to solve it. Just had to step back and think about a little.

What is a pulley on an incline?

A pulley on an incline is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. The wheel is usually attached to a fixed surface, and the rope or cable is used to lift or move objects. The incline refers to the angle at which the pulley is positioned.

How do you calculate the forces on a pulley on an incline?

The forces on a pulley on an incline can be calculated using the principles of physics, specifically the laws of motion and Newton's second law of motion. The forces involved include the weight of the object being lifted, the tension in the rope, and the force of gravity acting on the object.

What is tension and how is it related to a pulley on an incline?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or other similar object. In the case of a pulley on an incline, the tension in the rope is what allows the object to be lifted or moved. The amount of tension in the rope can be calculated using the principles of physics.

What are the factors that affect the tension in a pulley on an incline?

The tension in a pulley on an incline is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being lifted, the angle of the incline, the friction in the pulley system, and the properties of the rope or cable used. These factors can impact the amount of force needed to lift the object and the overall stability of the system.

How can the tension in a pulley on an incline be optimized for efficiency?

The tension in a pulley on an incline can be optimized for efficiency by adjusting the angle of the incline, using a rope or cable with low friction, and ensuring that the weight of the object being lifted is evenly distributed. Additionally, using multiple pulleys in a system can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object, making the process more efficient.