2 differentials, one of which is almost solved

In summary, the two homework problems are similar in that they ask for a solution in the form y' + p(x)y = q(x)yn. However, the second problem has an incorrect yx order, and a hint would be greatly appreciated.
bennyska

Homework Statement

so, problem 1:
xy' + 2y = 6x2y1/2

Homework Equations

so this is a bernoulli, where, in the form y' + p(x)y = q(x)yn

The Attempt at a Solution

xy' + 2y = 6x2y1/2
y' + (2/x)y =6xy1/2
so in the form, p(x) = 2/x, q(x) = 6x, and v = y1/2
dividing both sides by y1/2
y-1/2y' + (2/x)y1/2 = 6x

substitute v = y1/2 and simplify
this becomes:
2dv/dx + (2/x)v = 6x
dv/dx + (1/x)v = 3x
this is linear, and let mu(x)= eint. 1/x dx = eln x = x
multiply both sides, and get
d/dx(xv) = 3x2
integrate
xv = x3 + c0
v = x2 + c0/x
replace v
y1/2 = x2 + co/x
y = (x2 + c0/x)2

here's the problem. when i do this without the constant of integration, it works fine, i.e. (x2)2 is a valid solution. so I've gone over this several times, but can't find my mistake. any help?

problem no 2: i can't get started. a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

ex+ y*exy + (ey+ x*eyx)y'=0

as i type it, i wonder if i copied something down wrong, having the yx in reverse alphabetical order. oh well, yeah, a pointer would help. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did nothing wrong for the first problem. Just try plugging the terms into the original ODE again carefully.

For the 2nd problem, make y' the subject and think about what happens when something is implicitly differentiated. I think the answer is ey + ex + exy = 0.

Good luck.

Your answer to the first problem is correct. Perhaps your error occurs while trying to check your answer.

In the second problem, you can rewrite it slightly:

[tex](e^x+ye^{xy})dx+(e^y+xe^{xy})dy=0[/tex]

Does this form jog your memory?

how about one more small hint?

It's an exact differential. You can see this because

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(e^x+ye^{xy}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(e^y+xe^{xy})[/tex]

So there's some function [itex]\Phi(x,y)[/itex] such that

[tex]d\Phi = (e^x+ye^{xy})dx+(e^y+xe^{xy})dy[/tex]

i seem to remember my last class skipping over this section, but i have the book and i'll see what i can do. thanks.

1. What is a differential?

A differential is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It is often used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change.

2. What are the different types of differentials?

There are two types of differentials: total differentials and partial differentials. A total differential represents the total change in a function with respect to all of its variables, while a partial differential represents the change in a function with respect to one specific variable.

3. What does it mean for a differential to be "almost solved"?

If one of the differentials in a problem is "almost solved," it means that it has been reduced to a simpler form and only requires one or two more steps to find the final solution.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you must use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration to find an expression for the function that satisfies the equation. This can be a complex process and may require multiple steps.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentials?

Differentials have many real-world applications, such as in physics to describe the motion of objects, in economics to model supply and demand, and in biology to study population growth. They are also commonly used in engineering and finance to solve various problems involving rates of change.