1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 equations, 3 variables

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    Equation 1: 3x+2y+1/3z=50
    Equation 2: x+y+z=100

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the variables go like this: x=5, y=2 and z=93. I solved this combining different variables until I got the right "combination". I have to prove these solutions, any ideas how?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2016 #2
    Hi Nicola:

Your solution can be proved to be correct by substituting the solution values for x, y, and z into the two equations and doing the arithmetic to end up with 50=50 and 100=100.

You should be aware that the solution you have is not the only solution. Chose any arbitrary value for one of the variable, say for example, z=30. Substitute this value into the two equations and you get two equations in x and y which you can then solve. For z = 30 you get x = -100, y = 170.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Jun 25, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your system of equation does not have a unique solution. Perform row reduction on the augmented matrix between the coefficients and the RHS matrices to get the general expression of the solution.

5. Jun 25, 2016 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

Something tells me that the OP wanted to say that x,y,z are positive integers. If this is the case, the system seem to have unique solutions , for sure it has a finite set of solutions.

6. Jun 25, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Manipulating the general form of the solution by requiring it to satisfy ##x,y,z>0## still results in an interval of one parameter, so the solution is still of infinite numbers.

7. Jun 25, 2016 #6
    Yes, thank you for the fast replays. What Delta said is correct, variables must be positive integers.
    Blue leaf, I don't quite manipulate well with matrices, I didn't really get what you said but thanks.
    Buzz bloom, I expressed myself wrong. By saying "prove" I meant to find a way of finding the variables that I did in logical non-guessing way that is verifiable by the others. Thanks guys, I hope you get what I'm saying. To elaborate more my task is to think of a real life problem that would lead to these equations, and I have to show the way of solving it myself. It is kind of a essay about designing problems.

8. Jun 25, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a tutorial about solving a system of equations using row reduction technique. Implementing this method for your problem, you should get for the solution
    $$
    \left( \begin{array}{c}
    x \\
    y \\
    z \\
    \end{array} \right)
    =
    \left( \begin{array}{c}
    -150 \\
    250 \\
    0\\
    \end{array} \right) +
    z\left( \begin{array}{c}
    5/3 \\
    -8/3 \\
    1\\
    \end{array} \right)
    $$
    The solution you found is obtained by setting ##z=93##. But as you see, any value of ##z## will actually give you a solution. If you want to restrict variables further to be positive, you can just use the above equation with an inequality so that
    $$
    \left( \begin{array}{c}
    -150 +z5/3\\
    250 - z8/3 \\
    z\\
    \end{array} \right) >
    \left( \begin{array}{c}
    0 \\
    0 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array} \right)
    $$
    But as it should turn out, there are still many possible solutions.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  9. Jun 25, 2016 #8
    Thank you, I will check that out, I hope it's in detail because I studied only basic operations with matrices this year in my high school, here in Europe.
    My friends generated the variables and equations via their own algorithm in Lazarus, I don't quite remember if the solutions are unique (still figuring out second part of your post, I will have to do some revising). It's pretty hard for me to comprehend university studies in my own language, even harder in english :( Thank you for your time

10. Jun 25, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are exactly two solutions in non-negative integers, but exactly one in positive integers.

From what you wrote above we see that getting integers x and y requires z to be a multiple of 3, and x ≥ 0 requires z ≥ 90.

11. Jun 25, 2016 #10
    Also I did something simmilar but coudn't figure how to proceed
    image.jpg
    So I have to set assumption that z=93?

12. Jun 25, 2016 #11

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My bad, I was sloppy in reading @Delta² 's post, missed the "integer". Sorry @Delta² . So, yes he is right there is one positive integer solution.

13. Jun 25, 2016 #12

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to find the range of ##z## (or ##a##) for which all solutions are positive.

14. Jun 25, 2016 #13
    Aand I can find the range of z (a) only by guessing?

15. Jun 25, 2016 #14

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course not, you can start from the system of inequalities from the second part of post#7. There are three inequalities, find the intersection of all of them. Do you know how to work with inequalities?

16. Jun 25, 2016 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, of course not.Begin by actually reading what I wrote in #9, and proceed from there.

17. Jun 25, 2016 #16
    Oh ok, I didn't go through your whole post that is more in-depth yet, I have that in mind. I have to check out terminology to know if I know what you are talking about (inequalities). I won't ask any more stupid questions, after I observe the materials you gave me in complete tomorrow, I will state the situation

18. Jun 25, 2016 #17
    Ray Vickson, I didn't understand where u got the condition that x variable has to be 3 times bigger then z variable? Do you conclude that from Equation 2? I don't see the connection, am I missing something out?

19. Jun 25, 2016 #18

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, never said that. I said that z must be a multiple of 3; it could be 0, or 3, or 6, or,... Why? Well, look at the formula in equation (1) of post #7:
    [tex] x = -150 + \frac{5}{3}z [/tex]
    If ##z## is an integer that is not a multiple of 3, the value of ##x## will be a non-integer with a remainder of 1/3 or 2/3. The only way to have ##x## come out as an integer is to have ##z## be an (integer) multiple of 3, so that there will not be any remainder when you compute ##x##.

Next: in order to have ##x = -150 + (5/3)z \geq 0## you need to have ##(5/3)z \geq 150##. What does that tell you about ##z##?

20. Jun 26, 2016 #19
    I did some work on matrices but I managed to do similar as I sad using basic algebra already, but nevertheless now knowing how to reduce matrice to reduced row echoleon form is useful, I will add that to my final paper for sure.
    blue_leaf77 and Ray Vickson, so there are two non-positive integer solutions (containing 0) and unique positive (x=5, y=2, z=93). So by the setting of the problem one will conclude that the x,y,z>0. Next, in equation x=−150+5/3z, by the condition x,y>0 follows 98<z>90, also for x to be integer z must be multiple of 3 so that leads us to only two numbers possible; 93 and 96. Is that all there is to it for positive integer solution?
    Other thing, how did you read that there are only two non-positive integer solutions? I really know little about matrices, I know how to reduce the matrice, but the record in the video later, explaining as the solution can be specified as vectors confused me a little. What inequalities are set then and how to read them? (this is not really important because I only need positive solutions, but it's nice to know)
    Thank you for your patience

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  21. Jun 26, 2016 #20

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Non-negative.
    ##z>90## is correct but ##z>98## is not, let alone this mistake that's not how you combine two inequalities into a single one.
    96 shouldn't be in the range where the solution is positive, this is because you calculated one of the inequalities wrongly.
    Again, non-negative. You can deduce that there are only two non-negative integer solutions after you correctly calculate the required range for ##z##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted