Finding an f for 2^k+n: A Number Theory Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving numbers of the form 2^k+n and how to efficiently find values of f such that p|2^k+n. The speaker mentions using a brute-force method but wonders if there is a more direct, number-theoretic approach. They also mention that sometimes a larger value of m may work and ask if there is a way to efficiently find these values. The responder suggests using the Euclidean algorithm or looking at primality tests that use ERH for potential ideas.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was working on a problem with numbers of the form [itex]2^k+n[/itex] for k (potentially) large and n fixed. I pre-sieve candidate primes in the range by finding a value f such that whenever [itex]k=f\pmod{p-1}[/itex] it holds that [itex]p|2^k+n[/itex], and test a large range of k values.

1. The search for such an f is computationally expensive, since I search in an essentially brute-force manner. Is there a number-theoretic way of getting this directly? I feel like there should be.
2. Sometimes 'more is true': whenever [itex]k=f\pmod m[/itex] it holds that [itex]p|2^k+n[/itex], for some [itex]m|p-1[/itex]. Since I test the f values sequentially, this is not the case if 2f > p-1. When 2f < p-1, is there a good way to find values of m that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say the Euclidean algorithm should do. It should at least give you a lower bound. There are primality tests which use ERH and are fast. I would look at them whether the ideas can be used here.

FAQ: Finding an f for 2^k+n: A Number Theory Problem

1. What is the significance of finding an f for 2^k+n?

The problem of finding an f for 2^k+n is a fundamental question in number theory and has implications in various fields such as cryptography and computer science. It involves finding a function that can generate a prime number when given a specific input of the form 2^k+n, where k and n are positive integers.

2. What is the current progress on solving this problem?

The problem of finding an f for 2^k+n is still an open problem and has not been solved yet. However, there have been significant developments and progress made in recent years, including the discovery of new prime-generating functions and the establishment of upper and lower bounds on the possible values of f.

3. How is this problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The problem of finding an f for 2^k+n is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as Fermat's little theorem, Euler's totient function, and the Riemann zeta function. It also has connections to topics in algebra, number theory, and analysis.

4. What are some potential applications of solving this problem?

Solving the problem of finding an f for 2^k+n has practical applications in cryptography, as it can potentially lead to the development of more efficient and secure encryption algorithms. It also has implications in the study of prime numbers and their properties, which have important applications in various fields of science and technology.

5. Are there any known strategies or techniques for approaching this problem?

There are various strategies and techniques that have been used to approach the problem of finding an f for 2^k+n. These include using sieving methods, algebraic techniques, and probabilistic algorithms. However, no single approach has been successful in solving this problem, and it remains a challenging and active area of research in mathematics.