Physical Implications of the Transition from 2 M Branes to 5 M Branes

• A
  • Thread starter MacRudi
  • Start date
In summary, this article gives an overview of the devolopement of scalar vacuum and the delaton in string theory. It explains that there is now a three-algebra structure that is used to describe these phenomena. This article provides a useful resource for understanding scalar vacuum and the delaton in string theory.
MacRudi
Hello
I was not sure, if I should post it in mathematical forum or here. But my question is more a physical than mathematical.
Does someone know anything about the physical view on the devolopement from 2 M Branes to 5 M Branes? I can only find mathematical describings and mathematical explanations, which don't really help me to understand it.
What I understand so far is, that we cannot use anymore like in D Branes the langrangian physics of Yang Mill and Lie algrebra. So far so good. We need a 3 algebra. Understood so far.
But what are the consequences for scalar vacuum and the delaton?
This I cannot really understand, what that means for it.
Does someone have any profound articles or literature about this theme?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
arivero said:
Is this
https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/supergravity+Lie+3-algebra
the context of your question, or some other reference?
thanks
yes this is the mathematics. But now I need a physical background for the scalar vacuum and Delaton. Do you know any work on it? physics description (devlopement from 2M to 5M in 11 D)

Last edited:
The VEV of the string theory dilaton is actually telling you about the size of the 11th dimension from M-theory. The exact relation depends on which string theory you work in. In Type IIA and E8xE8 heterotic, which can directly be understood as compactifications of M-theory, the dilaton VEV is directly proportional to the size of the 11th dimension. In the other string theories, the mapping to M-theory involves a T-duality, and the dilaton VEV is then the ratio of the size of the 11th dimension, to the radius of the dimension along which the T-duality is performed.

The construction of M-theory as a quantum theory is still a work in progress. The original construction of M-theory occurred at a classical level - e.g. one would consider a ten-dimensional string theory in the limit of infinite coupling, and find that there were extra states corresponding to momentum in an 11th dimension. If you look for a derivation that starts with a membrane in 11 dimensions and derives string-and-dilaton in 10 dimensions, this is the closest thing I have seen. They start with a rough model of a quantum M2-brane wrapped around a compact dimension, and argue that the path-integral measure for the membrane implies a radius-dependent factor in the path integral for the string.

There is still a close connection between Yang-Mills theory, and the worldvolume theories of the branes in M-theory. M2-branes are described by "Chern-Simons-matter theories" that are like a Yang-Mills theory in which the gauge field kinetic terms have vanished (ref, page 4), and the nonlagrangian theory of the M5-branes may actually be 5D super-Yang-Mills with a hidden extra dimension (ref).

I don't know why the 3-algebra structure shows up or what it means.

thank you very much
this will help me now. Many thanks for the links. especially the last work is helping a lot with references

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1012.2882v3.pdf

I'm not sure, if I will understand it really. But it seems to give some more deep insights for 11 dimensions.
What we can say is that there are now mathematically from different views similar expressions, which don't use gauge kinetic terms of lagrangian expression.
We use partial grassmann integrals as the proper expression and have to think in them. To think in lagrangian expression would not be successful.

Last edited:

Related to Physical Implications of the Transition from 2 M Branes to 5 M Branes

1)

What is the concept of "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes"?

"2 M Branes to 5 M Branes" is a theoretical concept in string theory that suggests the possibility of branes (membranes) existing in multiple dimensions. In this concept, 2-dimensional branes would evolve into 5-dimensional branes through a process known as "brane inflation".

2)

How does "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes" relate to string theory?

"2 M Branes to 5 M Branes" is a concept that is based on string theory, which is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the fundamental forces of nature. This concept suggests the possibility of extra dimensions and how branes can evolve into higher dimensions.

3)

What evidence supports the existence of "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes"?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes". However, this concept is supported by mathematical models and theories in string theory, as well as observations of the universe that suggest the possibility of extra dimensions.

4)

How does "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes" impact our understanding of the universe?

If proven to be true, "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes" would greatly impact our understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it. It would also provide a potential explanation for the existence of extra dimensions and how they may have evolved over time.

5)

Are there any practical applications of "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes"?

Currently, there are no known practical applications of "2 M Branes to 5 M Branes". However, the study of this concept and string theory as a whole may lead to advancements in our understanding of the universe and potentially new technologies in the future.