1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other

1. Sep 9, 2006 #1
    I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out ot do this problem. The problem states that Two objects, A and B are connected by a rigid rod that has a length of 60m. The objects slide along perpendicular guide rails. If A slides to the left witha constant speed of 62m/s along the x-axis, find the velocity of B along the Y-axis when the rod makes an angle 30 degrees with the X-axis.

I have tried to work out this using trig functions but I do not think that is the proper way of doing the problem. Feel free to change the numbers around, I really just want to understand how to do the problem as I am stuck. I have been unable to figure it out by reading my book and cannot find a similar problem.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint 1: What's the relationship between the two coordinates? (Think Pythagorus.)

Hint 2: You'll need to take a derivative.

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3
    I have a similar problem to the one physacks submitted. I'm having trouble finding the relationship between the coordinates as you (Doc Al) said.
    Plz help,
    Thanks

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Please provide a diagram that illustrates the problem. I assume that object A is constrained to move along the x-axis and object B is constrained to move along the y-axis. Since the distance between the two end points is fixed, how must the positions of the two objects relate? Hint: The origin and the objects A and B form a right triangle whose hypotenuse is the length of the rod.

6. Feb 27, 2009 #5
    Here's the diagram of the problem.
    I assume the sides are related by the pythagorean theorem: x^2 + y^2 = 64^2
    Do I take the derivative of this equation or is there another equation I need? I feel like I need something that also relates time. It seems like a rate of change problem...so I'd use an implicit derivative. But I'm just having trouble figuring out the equation to use.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Feb 27, 2009 #6
    jslive03, try thinking of your equation as
    [x(t)]^2+[y(t)]^2=64^2
    and then differentiate wrt t.

By the way, this is called a trammel mechanism.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  8. Feb 27, 2009 #7

Doc Al

You're doing fine. That's the equation you need.
    Exactly.

Now just work out how the 38 degrees fits in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?