1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Questions: Centripetal Force related

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    Question 1:
    In a popular amusement park ride, a rotating cylinder of radius 3.00 m is set in rotation at an angular speed of 7.00 rad/s, as in the figure displayed below. The floor then drops away, leaving the riders suspended against the wall in a vertical position. What minimum coefficient of friction between a rider's clothing and the wall is needed to keep the rider from slipping? (Hint: Recall that the magnitude of the maximum force of static friction is equal to µn, where n is the normal force - in this case, the force causing the centripetal acceleration.)

3. The attempt at a solution: 14.9847 (Obviously Wrong, way too large for a coefficient.
    Basically, my problem on this one comes down to solving for centripetal force without knowing the mass. I can easily get centripetal acceleration, but don't know where to go from there with the data given. If someone could explain how to do this that would be fantastic.

Question 2:
    A certain light truck can go around a flat curve having a radius of 150 m with a maximum speed of 34.0 m/s. With what maximum speed can it go around a curve having a radius of 71.0 m?

My answers (both wrong): 71.8310 m/s, 16.0933 m/s
    Quite frankly, I don't know what I am doing wrong on this one. For the first of my two answers, I thought I was being given angular velocity which is not the case, but the second one not only used tangential velocity like I was supposed to, but the answer makes sense and is still not right. If someone could help me on this one too it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted