Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 questions I wish I had gone to school for this

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    if anyone wishes to answer my questions would it be too much to ask you to e-mail me the answer.
    Because I get notices that people have answered other questions, For the life of me I don't know where
    the answers are going to.... all I see is the alert that Mr. or Mrs. Peoples answered my question.
    << e-mail address removed by Mentors >>

before I forget Thank You
    Dave

If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?

My second question

ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet how do you make one or buy one?
    Can I make out of cast iron? If so can it be flat or does it need to be in the form of a cup and press in the magnet?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there
    welcome to PF :smile:

no it doesn't and of the magnet is as usual, bare metal, then it will just short out the capacitor with a spark

I tried googling " ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet " got some oddball results

would you like to explain what you are doing clearer ?
    maybe some one else knows what you are referring to ?

Dave

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The best person best to explain what he has in mind is Diamond Dave. :wink:

Over to you, Diamond Dave .....

5. Mar 26, 2015 #4
    But, for the short period of time while the capacitor is discharging, you get a current through the magnet, and you have some combined effect. The current will tend to realign the ferromagnet, so the ferromagnet enhances the power of the electromagnet. I think the ferromagnet behaves like an inductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook