1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 questions I wish I had gone to school for this

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    if anyone wishes to answer my questions would it be too much to ask you to e-mail me the answer.
    Because I get notices that people have answered other questions, For the life of me I don't know where
    the answers are going to.... all I see is the alert that Mr. or Mrs. Peoples answered my question.
    << e-mail address removed by Mentors >>

before I forget Thank You
    Dave

If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?

My second question

ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet how do you make one or buy one?
    Can I make out of cast iron? If so can it be flat or does it need to be in the form of a cup and press in the magnet?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there
    welcome to PF :smile:

no it doesn't and of the magnet is as usual, bare metal, then it will just short out the capacitor with a spark

I tried googling " ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet " got some oddball results

would you like to explain what you are doing clearer ?
    maybe some one else knows what you are referring to ?

Dave

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The best person best to explain what he has in mind is Diamond Dave. :wink:

Over to you, Diamond Dave .....

5. Mar 26, 2015 #4
    But, for the short period of time while the capacitor is discharging, you get a current through the magnet, and you have some combined effect. The current will tend to realign the ferromagnet, so the ferromagnet enhances the power of the electromagnet. I think the ferromagnet behaves like an inductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook