2 questions I wish I had gone to school for this

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Diamond Dave
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    School
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Diamond Dave
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
if anyone wishes to answer my questions would it be too much to ask you to e-mail me the answer.
Because I get notices that people have answered other questions, For the life of me I don't know where
the answers are going to... all I see is the alert that Mr. or Mrs. Peoples answered my question.
<< e-mail address removed by Mentors >>[/color]

before I forget Thank You
Dave
If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?

My second question

ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet how do you make one or buy one?
Can I make out of cast iron? If so can it be flat or does it need to be in the form of a cup and press in the magnet?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Diamond Dave said:
If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?

Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

no it doesn't and of the magnet is as usual, bare metal, then it will just short out the capacitor with a spark

My second question

ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet how do you make one or buy one?
Can I make out of cast iron? If so can it be flat or does it need to be in the form of a cup and press in the magnet?

I tried googling " ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet " got some oddball results

would you like to explain what you are doing clearer ?
maybe some one else knows what you are referring to ?

Dave
 
davenn said:
would you like to explain what you are doing clearer ?
maybe some one else knows what you are referring to ?
The best person best to explain what he has in mind is Diamond Dave. :wink:

Over to you, Diamond Dave ...
 
But, for the short period of time while the capacitor is discharging, you get a current through the magnet, and you have some combined effect. The current will tend to realign the ferromagnet, so the ferromagnet enhances the power of the electromagnet. I think the ferromagnet behaves like an inductor.