Is 2012 Movie Just Another Epic Destruction Flick?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the movie has great visual effects, but the plot and pacing are similar to Indiana Jones movies. The last 40 minutes are slow and the ending is not satisfying.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
2012 movie - :(

In order to buy into literature, stage plays, and movies, you have to suspend disbelief to get the most out of it.

If you have a science background you, like me, may find it hard to do that - suspend disbelief during this flick. The cgi stuff is absolutely cataclysmic, the plot and pace are like Indiana Jones movies, but the movie is really hard to swallow. IMO. The last 40 minutes are kinda slow Earth-convulsions-wise.

It is your eight bucks. Or 6 euros or whatever.

Anyone else have a teenager in the family and been dragged to the movie? :(

Physics news on Phys.org

I love 'end of the world' movies for pure entertainment, but when you walk out of the movie with half of the people thinking it could and might really happen, I lose faith in humanity.

I saw it last night, and over all I was a little dissapointed. Part of it could have been that I saw it at midnight and didn't realize that it was a 3 hour movie.

Science doesn't reflect reality, but they did mention neutrinos :wink:

The movie has fantastic visual effects, lots of destruction, lava flows, and tsunamis. It progressed fast. It's a good way to get your mind off your worries for 2.5 hours without getting drunk.

Fan boy. Par excellence...

Yeah I thought that the movie was pretty good too actually...

waht said:
It's a good way to get your mind off your worries for 2.5 hours without getting drunk.
Sappy love movies with lots of (psychological) drama work best for me.

For some reason I am able to suspend disbelief in some movies better than others. James Bond? Star Trek? Not a problem. Armageddon? Day After Tomorrow? The Core? Gag.

russ_watters said:
For some reason I am able to suspend disbelief in some movies better than others. James Bond? Star Trek? Not a problem. Armageddon? Day After Tomorrow? The Core? Gag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_(2007_film)"

My friends and I played a drinking game: Drink when your physics hurts. We ended up exempting a lot of repeated things just to survive (including the entire premise of the movie).

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoDevin said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_(2007_film)"
So I've heard. One aspect for sure that irritates me is Sunshine proudly publicized that the movie had a science advisor. The others I listed too - they seemed to try to imply plausibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe they meant that they asked their science advisor questions like:

How high would a tidal wave have to be to wash over Himalayas?

What would it look like if California fell off the continent?

Does it matter whether or not Pluto is involved with the planetary alignment and should we care?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I will watch it with a grain of salt, or start a short lived cult religion... I'm not sure which.

As with most 'epic destruction' movies, you really have to not think about the story at all. You just sit back, get bored for the first 20 mins when they introduce the characters and give some crappy pseudo-science explanation about why the Earth is going to explode this time, and then enjoy the 2 hour ride of destruction.

The special effects are really quite good even though the destruction is REALLY over the top in most cases. But the movie is enjoyable if you stop thinking rationally, lol.

One thing I didn't like is how the main characters escape like 5 times in identical ways: with the ground breaking away beneath their car/plane/whatever and they only JUST get away. Ok maybe that could happen once, if you are the main character in a movie that still has 1.5 hours to go, but after 3 or 4 times I want to see them crashing into the depths for once too.

1. Is the 2012 movie based on real events?

No, the 2012 movie is a work of fiction and is not based on real events.

2. Is the 2012 movie scientifically accurate?

No, the movie takes many liberties with science and the laws of physics.

3. What is the premise of the 2012 movie?

The 2012 movie is about a fictional global catastrophe that occurs on December 21, 2012, based on the Mayan calendar.

4. Is the 2012 movie worth watching?

It depends on personal preference. Some people may enjoy it as a disaster movie, while others may not find it to be a quality film.

5. Will watching the 2012 movie prepare me for a real-life disaster?

No, the 2012 movie is purely a work of fiction and should not be used as a guide for preparing for real-life disasters.

Back