1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd Bachelors at top school vs Masters at not so top

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    Quick question:

I am currently in a ABET accredited non ranked BSIE program (NC A&T) getting a 2nd bachelors (1st was in psychology from UNC). My school has expressed that since I have a psych degree I can go into the Human Factors MSIE program. And once in, if I want, I can change my focus (say to OR).

Also,

I was recently accepted into a top 10 BSIE Program at NC State.

I will have 2 years left either way and I was wondering which is the better option for a future. Is it better to have a no name MS without a relevant BS, or to have the top 10 BS?

Also, is switching once in the MS normal, or something like a loophole?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    What do you mean "better"...more salary post-graduation? on applications to pursue a ph.d.? your own personal satisfaction that you accomplished something?

What's "better" for one person isn't necessarily better for someone else.

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply,

By better I mean both a better educational foundation, and a better use of my time on the path to becoming an Industrial engineer. Also, on a resume, and hireability.

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook