1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order differential equation

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y''+16y=3.36

This is actually part of a spring question I'm attempting at the moment, and I'm having a mental blank on how to deal with the 3.36.

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I've found the characteristic equation and solution based from that;
    [tex] c_1 cos(4x) + c_2 sin(4x) [/tex]
    but the answer is
    [tex] c_1 cos(4x) + c_2 sin(4x) + 0.21 [/tex]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember: The general solution to any linear non-homogeneous differential eq. is equal to the soln. to the homogeneous sq. plus the particular soln. to the non-homogeneous eq.
    What is your characteristic eq. here?

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You found the homogeneous solution. You need to find the particular solution. Try substituting a trial solution of the form yp=A and solving for A.

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4
    [tex] y_p = A [tex]
    so doing that I get A = 0.21, which gives me the correct solution.

thanks.

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5
    However do you know the rationale for choosing trail function as A instead of A x

7. Aug 4, 2011 #6
    yep. so it isn't a multiple of the homogenous solution. I did a course of DE's a while ago, I just forgot what to do in this case.

8. Aug 4, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you had tried Ax, then (Ax)''= 0 so the equation would have been 16Ax= 3.36. The left side has an "x" and the right side doesn't. May I ask why you are doing this problem? I would imagine it is because you are taking a course in differential equations but I cannot imagine you having a homework problem like this if you are not in a chapter of your textbook that has a detailed description of "Undetermined Coefficients" as this method is called.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook