2nd order differential with limit - keep getting zero

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution of a differential in the limit z -> i/2. The solution requires using the quotient rule and product rule to find the first derivative and then taking the derivative again. However, due to an indeterminate expression, the final answer requires simplification and the use of the residue rule. After correcting an error in the expression, the correct answer of -3i/16 is obtained.
DragonQ

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the following differential in the limit z -> i/2:

5age3n.jpg

Homework Equations

Quotient rule, product rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first derivative using the quotient rule, with the answer as two fractions. I then took both fractions and differentiated them again, one of which required the quotient rule and the other of which required both the quotient rule and the product rule.

However, every fraction in the final answer as a (z - i/2) term in the numerator and no similar terms in the denominator, which makes them all zero when you take the limit. My final answer is this:

2pt71oh.png

The answer should be -3i/16 after the limit is taken.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The denominator [itex]4z^2+1 \rightarrow 0[/itex] when [itex] \ z \rightarrow i/2[/itex]. As a result you end up with an indeterminate expression, 0/0.

Hint: [itex]4\left(\frac{i}{2})^2+1=0[/itex]:wink:

Hmm. So it is possible to get to -3i/16 from where I've gotten or have I made a mistake in my logic? Cancelling out the brackets that equal zero on the top and bottom of each fraction doesn't seem to help (and I don't think you can do that anyway).

The reason this differential has to be done is because of the following residue rule:

8zit5d.png

With the original equation being:

in925g.png

(it has a 3rd order singularity at i/2, and one at -i/2 that can be ignored, so you make z0 = i/2)I'm sure I've made a stupid mistake somewhere...

There are a couple of errors in your expression for [itex]f''(z)[/itex]. To make it easier to calculate, just realize that [itex](4z^2+1)=4(z+i/2)(z-i/2)[/itex] and simplify your expression before differentiating.

Ah, thanks for that tip. I now get the correct answer. :D

1. What is a 2nd order differential with limit?

A 2nd order differential with limit refers to a type of mathematical equation that involves taking the second derivative of a function and then evaluating it at a specific value, known as the limit. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve acceleration and velocity.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order differential with limit?

To solve a 2nd order differential with limit, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms. The specific method used will depend on the type of equation and initial conditions given in the problem. It is important to carefully follow the steps and rules of the chosen method to arrive at the correct solution.

3. Why am I getting a zero result when solving a 2nd order differential with limit?

If you are consistently getting a zero result when solving a 2nd order differential with limit, it could be due to a few reasons. One possibility is that the equation is a homogeneous differential equation, where all the terms cancel out, resulting in a solution of zero. It could also be due to an error in the problem setup or calculations, so it is important to double-check your work.

4. What does it mean if the limit of a 2nd order differential is undefined?

If the limit of a 2nd order differential is undefined, it means that the function does not have a well-defined value at that point. This could be due to a few different reasons, such as the function being discontinuous or having a vertical asymptote at that point. It is important to carefully analyze the function to determine why the limit is undefined.

5. Can a 2nd order differential with limit be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, a 2nd order differential with limit can be used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to describe systems that involve acceleration and velocity, such as the motion of objects or the growth of populations. By solving these equations, we can make predictions and better understand how these systems behave in the real world.