1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd Order Homogeneous, Real Roots, Initial Value

1. Jul 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the initial value problem

question.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Quadratic Formula

3. The attempt at a solution

work.jpg

My problem is that I don't understand how to solve the constants now, I understand, 2 equations, 2 unknowns, but when I plug the y(0) = 0 into the YsubH equation, everything cancels out, I can't solve for anything. I don't see anyway to cancel anything in the equations either to make it not equivalent to 0, or to be able to solve it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For simple differential equations such as this, it's better to type the equation and initial condition than to post an image. What I see is a thumbnail that shows "0, y". I have to click the image to see the full image.

Your equation is
    2y'' + y' - 4y = 0, y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1
    Your solution looks fine to me. Your error is in how you evaluated it. Note that e0 = 1, so you get ##c_1 + c_2 = 0## for your first equation, so everything does not cancel out.

4. Jul 6, 2015 #3
    Okay, I'll remember that, the next time that I post... and thank you so much for catching my error, I feel terrible that I made such an algebra mistake...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted