1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order non-homogeneneous ODE - how to find PI

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the general and, if possible, particular solutions of the following ordinary differential equations:

y''+9y=36sin3x
    (hint: modification rule for PI)

2. Relevant equations
    Knowledge of ODE's
    [tex]y = y_{aux}+y_{particular}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get the compementary function;
    y''+9y = 0

and then using lambda-notation

[tex]\lambda^2 + 9 = 0[/tex]

therefore

[tex]\lambda = \pm 3i[/tex]
    (complex roots)

so
    [tex]y_{aux} = A cos 3x + B sin 3x[/tex]

but now how do I get [tex]y_{particular}[/tex]??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Notice that '3' is a root in the auxiliary equation.

what is the PI for sin3x? Since '3' is a root, you will need to modify the PI by multiplying it by x.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

PI = particular ???

To expand on what rock.freak667 said, your particular solution should be yp = Axcos(3x) + Bxsin(3x).

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4
    I don't really understand what you mean by this..

However, the PI for sin3x is Acos3x + Bsin3x, i think...
    so if you have to multiply by x (don't really understand why?) then the PI would be
    x(Acos3x + Bsin3x)?

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
    PI = Particular Integral :)

7. Dec 6, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not if the complementary solution yc is c1cos3x + c2sin3x, which means that no matter what the values of c1 and c2, yc'' + 9yc = 0. In other words, there is no way you will end up with 36sin3x on the right side.

Your particular solution (I prefer this term to particular integral) must therefore be Axcos3x + Bxsin3x. You need to find the coefficients A and B so that yp'' + 9yp = 36sin(3x).

Your general solution will be y = yc + yp = c1cos3x + c2sin3x + Axcos3x + Bxsin3x, where you will have determined A and B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook