2nd order non homogeneous diff. eqs. 2nd posting for clarification

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation with initial conditions and the use of LaTeX subscripts. The speaker attempted to solve the equation and found a solution that works, but has imaginary roots. They are struggling to understand why a solution with imaginary coefficients is not satisfying the initial conditions. They also discuss the use of LaTeX subscripts and provide tips for proper formatting.
jbowers9
I recently attempted to solve the following:

y” + (K/m)y = (Kl[tex]^{0}[/tex]+mg)/m

y(0) = l[tex]_{0}[/tex]

y(t[tex]_{e}[/tex]) = (K l[tex]_{0}[/tex]+mg)/K

The Attempt at a Solution

y(t) = -(mg/K)cos{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t} + (mg/K){cos{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t[tex]_{e}[/tex]}/sin{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t[tex]_{e}[/tex]}}*sin{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t} + (K l[tex]_{0}[/tex]+mg)/K

which works. But the auxiliary equation has imaginary roots and one of the texts I'm reading states that

y(t) = (C[tex]_{1}[/tex] + C[tex]_{2}[/tex])cos{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t} + i(C[tex]_{1}[/tex] - C[tex]_{2}[/tex])sin{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t} + (K l[tex]_{0}[/tex]+mg)/K

should be a solution w/imaginary coefficients. I get

C[tex]_{1}[/tex] = -mg/K - C[tex]_{2}[/tex]

C[tex]_{2}[/tex] = (-i/2)(mg/K)(cos{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t[tex]_{e}[/tex]}/sin{[tex]\sqrt{K/m}[/tex] t[tex]_{e}[/tex]}

but they don't solve the original condition reqs. What am I doing wrong/not seeing?

P.S. Why don't some of the Latex scripts work from the pull down menu; ie subscript gives superscript?

I posted this earlier, but cannot retrieve the posting. I'm still having trouble with the Latex formatting. Subscript gives superscript for some reason. And I'm using the full down menu option and inserting the arg. into the script. (?) Also, regarding the coefficients, please see the following, Case III:

http://www.stewartcalculus.com/data...ntexts/upfiles/3c3-2ndOrderLinearEqns_Stu.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take a look at the homogeneous equation,
y'' + a2y = 0

You can write the solutions in either of two ways:
y = c1eiax + c2e-iax

or

y = c1cos(ax) + c2sin(ax)

The reason you can do this is that eiax = cos(ax) + i sin(ax), and e-iax = cos(ax) - i sin(ax), from which you can isolate the real part from the imaginary part like so:
(1/2)(eiax + e-iax) = cos(ax)
(1/(2i))(eiax - e-iax) = sin(ax)

So both cos(ax) and sin(ax) are linear combinations of eiax and e-iax.

To answer your question about the initial condition, your particular solution should look like this:

[tex]y_p(x) = C[/tex]
Plug that into your differential equation to solve for C.

Your general solution should look like this:
[tex]y(x) = c_1 cos(bx) + c_2 sin(bx) + C[/tex]
where C has been solved for previously.

To find c1 and c2, use your initial conditions
[tex]y(0) = l_0[/tex]
and
y(te) = (Kl0 + mg)/K

Regarding your question about LaTeX subscripts, they are working fine for me, using both the [ sub] style not inside [ tex] tags, and using the _<subscript> style inside [ tex] tags. The problem is probably that you are using [ tex] tags in isolation when it would be better to surround the entire equation with them.

IOW -- don't do this l [ tex]_0[ /tex]. Instead, do this -- [ tex]y(0) = l_0[ /tex]
Note that I have left a leading space at the start of the tex tags so that they won't render.

1. What is the difference between a 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equation and a 2nd order homogeneous differential equation?

A 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equation includes a constant term, while a 2nd order homogeneous differential equation does not. In other words, a non-homogeneous differential equation is not equal to 0, while a homogeneous differential equation is equal to 0.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equation, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both methods involve finding a particular solution and a complementary solution, and then combining them to get the general solution.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a 2nd order differential equation has a second derivative as its highest derivative.

4. Can a 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equation can have multiple solutions. In fact, the general solution to a 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equation will have two arbitrary constants, allowing for an infinite number of solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of 2nd order non-homogeneous differential equations?

2nd order non-homogeneous differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model real-world phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They can also be used to solve problems involving population growth and decay, chemical reactions, and more.