2nd order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion

In summary, the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator is given by d^2x/dt^2 + 2(gamma)dx/dt +[(omega0)^2]x =0. By solving for x(t), it can be shown that x(t) = Ae^(mt) + Be^(pt), where m= -(gamma) + [(gamma)^2 - (omega0)^2 ]^1/2 and p =-(gamma) - [(gamma)^2 - (omega0)^2 ]^1/2. Using the initial conditions x=x0 and dx/dt =v0 at t=0, it can be shown that A= v0 - px0 / (m - p)
halfoflessthan5

Homework Statement

the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator is

d^2x/dt^2 + 2(gamma)dx/dt +[(omega0)^2]x =0

show that

x(t) = Ae^(mt) + Be^(pt)

where

m= -(gamma) + [(gamma)^2 - (omega0)^2 ]^1/2
p =-(gamma) - [(gamma)^2 - (omega0)^2 ]^1/2

If x=x0 and dx/dt =v0 at t=0. show that

A= v0 - px0
m - p​

B =mx0 - v0
m - p​

In the case of very strong damping (i.e gamma >> omega0) show that

p (approx)= -2(gamma)

m (approx)= -(omega0)^2
2(gamma)​

Hence show that if v0 = 0, the displacement of the oscillator is given approximately by

x(t) = x0 e^(q)

where q = (t(omega0)^2) / 2(gamma)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im okay up until the asterixes. Dont understand how you get the approximation for p in the limit gamma>>omega0. It just tends towards 0 as far as i can see. I tried l'hopitals, isolating the dominant term etc, but couldn't get anywhere

Dont quite get the last bit either, but that might be because i don't get the step before.

(PS I am going to learn latex soon :biggrin: sorry for all the mess)

EDIT: Yes, youre right Aleph. thankyou

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is typo in your post (or the original question).

m and p should not be the same. One of them should be

-(gamma) - [(gamma)^2 - (omega0)^2 ]^1/2

bump

anyone?

Sorry, I thought the typo was the reason you couldn't do the question.

sqrt(gamma^2 + omega0^2) = gamma sqrt(1 + omega0^2/gamma^2)

gamma >> omega0 so omega0/ gamma is small.

Use the biominal theorem to approximate the square root.

yeh okay. that was obvious :redface:

thankyou

1. What is a second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion?

A second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator, which is a system that oscillates back and forth due to a restoring force and also experiences a damping force that decreases its amplitude over time.

2. How is a second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion derived?

A second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion can be derived using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By applying this law to a damped harmonic oscillator, we can derive the equation of motion and then rearrange it into a second order ordinary differential equation.

3. What are the key components of a second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion?

The key components of a second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion include the mass of the oscillator, the spring constant which determines the strength of the restoring force, the damping coefficient which determines the strength of the damping force, and the initial conditions such as the initial position and velocity of the oscillator.

4. How is a second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion solved?

A second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion can be solved using various methods such as analytical solutions, numerical methods, or by using computer software. Analytical solutions involve finding the general solution using techniques such as variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients. Numerical methods involve approximating the solution using algorithms and computer software can be used to solve the equation numerically.

5. What are some real-world applications of a second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion?

A second order ordinary differential equation for damped harmonic motion has many real-world applications such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a vibrating guitar string. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the behavior of mechanical and electrical systems that exhibit damped harmonic motion.