3 dimension coordinate systems

In summary, someone is asking for help with solving problems related to geometry. They are having trouble understanding concepts such as x=c. They are trying to figure out y=mx+b in R2 and xyz=0 in R3. They are also trying to figure out what the first octant is.
roadrunner

Homework Statement

Describe in words the region of R3 (3 dimension) represented by the following inequality.

1)xyz=0

Homework Equations

none i know of

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea where to start. I know that this means one variable must be equal to 0, but i don't know how to classify it.

for example

x^2+y^2=r^2 is for a circle...

x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 is a sphere

x^2 is a parabola

y=mx+b is a line
how would i clasify xyz... :)

NUMBER 2!

Write an inequality to describe the region.

a) region consisting of the firts octant bounded by z=1 y=2 z=3

what I've tried

i'm nt sure if this means x is bounded by x=0 and x=1...or if it means x<=1 and can continue infinatly (same with y and z)

and also, i think id have to make is such 6x=6 3y=6 2z=6 and make it in the form of x^2+y^2+z^2 >= 6 (or <=6 depending on the bounds)

thanks for some input ! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you describe the solution to x=0? To xy=0? Start simple, work your way up.

x=0 means there is only a y coordinate...so (0,y) and xy=0 means (0,y,z) or (x,0,z) or (0,0,z) so xyz=0 means that (x,y,0) or (x,0,z) or(0,y,z) or (x,0,0) or (0,y,0) or (0,0,z) or (0,0,0)

but how do i relate this to some sort of shape? or would i just use what i did?

Describe y=constant (or x=constant) in simple terms. Zero is just a special constant.

so z x and y and all constants...and at least one must be 0? that's how i would describe it?

and how about the 2nd question i had?

NUMBER 2!

Write an inequality to describe the region.

a) region consisting of the firts octant bounded by z=1 y=2 z=3

what I've tried

i'm nt sure if this means x is bounded by x=0 and x=1...or if it means x<=1 and can continue infinatly (same with y and z)

and also, i think id have to make is such 6x=6 3y=6 2z=6 and make it in the form of x^2+y^2+z^2 >= 6 (or <=6 depending on the bounds)

thanks for some input ! :)

Slow down, roadrunner. You are going too fast and in the wrong direction. You appeared to be having troubles with some very basic concepts, so I started simple. Let's start even simpler, with the equation x=c: What simple geometric shape does x=c represent in R1, R2, and R3? I'll give you a start: In R1 x=c represents a point.

Now specialize to the special constant zero. In R3, the three geometric shapes defined by three equations x=0, y=0, and z=0 have special names.

Finally, what does xyz=0 mean?

Problem 2. What simple expression defines the first octant (use the standard definition here)? This is a simple relation on (x,y,z). Now all you have to do is shift this so that the reference point is not the origin.

in R2 x=c means just a point also, and in R3?

quesiton two

X>=1 Y>=0 Z>=0 defins the firts octant. so would it be (x-1) +(y-2) + (y-3) >=0? that seems wrong, because that sitll doesn't show that x y and z have individual restrictions.

edit!

just noticed book said inequalities so can i just go x>=1 y>=2 z>=3

Last edited:
roadrunner said:
in R2 x=c means just a point also, and in R3?

Not so fast, grasshopper. What simple geometric shape does y=mx+b represent in R2?

a line
but i thought you said just x=c?
did you mean in R2 use y=mx+b and in R3 use another formula that relates x z y?

Start with y=mx+b. Its a line in R2. Now set m to zero and change that 'b' to c. You get y=0*x+c, or simply y=c. This is still a line. Now change the 'c' to zero. By the way, this line (y=0) has a special name. x=my+b is also an equation of a line. Now set m to zero and b to zero. This (x=0) is still a line, and this line has a special name also.

To recap, in R1, the equation x=c represents a point, and in R2 it represents a line. What does this equation represent in R3?

parabola?

and the special name being the axis?

Stop guessing. How could it possibly be a parabola? A parabola "lives" in a plane, not in three dimensions. What is the next step in the progression a point, a line, a ... ?

Someone else needs to help roadrunner here, I am off 'til tomorrow morning.

circle?
i said parabola cause c=point x=line so i assume enxt was x^2 which is a parabola...but it would be a circle

ooo maybe at something? would xyz=0 refer to any point on an axis?

A very "relevant equation" is that if ab= 0 then either a= 0 or b= 0. If xyz= 0, then at least one of x, y, or z is 0. No, it is not "any point on an axis" because points on axes have two coordinates 0.

so then would it be any point on the plane xy, xz, yz ?

thanks man! haha

What is a 3 dimension coordinate system?

A 3 dimension coordinate system is a mathematical system used to locate points in a three-dimensional space. It consists of three perpendicular axes - x, y, and z - which intersect at a common origin point.

What are the three axes in a 3 dimension coordinate system?

The three axes in a 3 dimension coordinate system are x, y, and z. The x-axis runs horizontally, the y-axis runs vertically, and the z-axis runs perpendicular to the x and y axes.

How do you plot a point in a 3 dimension coordinate system?

To plot a point in a 3 dimension coordinate system, you need to determine its x, y, and z coordinates and mark it on the corresponding axes. The point is represented by the intersection of three lines passing through the coordinates on each axis.

What is the purpose of using a 3 dimension coordinate system?

The purpose of using a 3 dimension coordinate system is to accurately locate points in a three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What is the difference between a 3 dimension coordinate system and a 2 dimension coordinate system?

A 3 dimension coordinate system uses three axes (x, y, and z) to locate points in a three-dimensional space, while a 2 dimension coordinate system uses only two axes (x and y) to locate points in a two-dimensional space. This means that a 3 dimension coordinate system can represent more complex and realistic objects and scenarios compared to a 2 dimension coordinate system.