1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 dimension reactions problem - statics

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 100-kg uniform rectangular plate is supported in the position shown by hinges A and B and by cable DCE that passes over a frictionless hook at C. Assuming that the tension is the same in both parts of the cable, determine (a) the tension in the cable, (b) the reactions at A and B. (assume that the hinge at B does not exert any axial thrust)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    What does it mean when it says assume that the hinge at B does not exert any axial trust?
    Everyone keeps telling me that it means that there's no reactions, yet in the free body diagram, I see reaction forces, just no reaction moments, is this what it means?

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2
    I don't know, but would guess (and proceed on the assumption that) it means no reaction component parallel to AB.

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It means at hinge B, there will be reaction forces in the direction of the y-axis and z-axis. It's a hinge, so it can't support a reaction moment about the x-axis.

I think the stipulation about hinge B not being able to support an axial reaction force is to ensure that the problem is statically determinant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted