1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 Pinned Frame - Produce Calcs, BMD & SFD

1. Jan 2, 2014 #1
    I have to provide calcs and then produce Shear Force Diagrams, Bending Moment Diagrams.
    I,ve completed it but I think I,m going wrong somewhere. The diagrams do not look correct. I suspect I,ve possibly got positive/negative values mixed up somewhere through it but I,m not totally sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See attachment for the question & my workings.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

your initial diagram does not show the pin at C.
    The frames are spaced 4.8 m apart , so the wind pressure must be multiplied by the frame spacing to get the horizontal frame load in units of kN/m.
    Otherwise your approach looks good, but you had an incorrect moment arm for that 10.6 N load ...should be 16 m not 8 m.
    When you draw shear and moment diagrams, there must be a moment at the upper corner joints, not 0 as you have shown. The horiz and vert members are rigidly connected at those joints.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted