3 Pinned Frame - Produce Calcs, BMD & SFD

• Thread starter Phil52
  • Start date
I have to provide calcs and then produce Shear Force Diagrams, Bending Moment Diagrams.
I,ve completed it but I think I,m going wrong somewhere. The diagrams do not look correct. I suspect I,ve possibly got positive/negative values mixed up somewhere through it but I,m not totally sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See attachment for the question & my workings.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have to provide calcs and then produce Shear Force Diagrams, Bending Moment Diagrams.
I,ve completed it but I think I,m going wrong somewhere. The diagrams do not look correct. I suspect I,ve possibly got positive/negative values mixed up somewhere through it but I,m not totally sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See attachment for the question & my workings.
your initial diagram does not show the pin at C.
The frames are spaced 4.8 m apart , so the wind pressure must be multiplied by the frame spacing to get the horizontal frame load in units of kN/m.
Otherwise your approach looks good, but you had an incorrect moment arm for that 10.6 N load ...should be 16 m not 8 m.
When you draw shear and moment diagrams, there must be a moment at the upper corner joints, not 0 as you have shown. The horiz and vert members are rigidly connected at those joints.