Help with understanding Shear Force and Bending Moment

In summary: If it's not that, then I can't guess what it is.)In summary, the magnitude of the normal force at A in diagram 1 is 2Fcos(30), the magnitude of the shear force at B in diagram 2 is 0, the magnitude of the bending moment at C in diagram 3 is -L/2 * F*cos(30), the magnitude of the bending moment at the support in diagram 4 is 2LF, and the magnitude of the shear force at A in diagram 1 is 2Fsin(30).
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

What is:

i) In diagram 1, the magnitude of the normal force at A

ii) In diagram 2, the magnitude of the shear force at B

iii) In diagram 3, the magnitude of the bending moment at C

iv) In diagram 4, the magnitude of the bending moment at the support

v) In diagram 1, the magnitude of the shear force at A

25uha92.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) 2Fcos(30)

ii) 0

iii)-L/2 * F*cos(30)

iv) 2LF

v) 2Fsin(30)

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm any ideas?

NoobeAtPhysics said:
i) 2Fcos(30)
Do they mean normal to the wall or normal to the beam? (I'm really not sure.)
ii) 0
Shear force is not the same as net force.
A shear force is a couple acting along parallel surfaces of a volume. So it consists of a pair of equal and opposite forces acting along parallel lines. These create a torque if about an axis, but in this case they are being applied along parallel surfaces of a rigid volume.
But AFAIK, one doesn't normally speak of the magnitude of a shear force, unless you simply mean the magnitude of each force of the couple. More usually one speaks of shear stress. See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_stress.
(But I don't think the explanation there is very clear. It defines:
A = the cross-sectional area of material with area parallel to the applied force vector,
but a force vector only defines a line, so being parallel to it does not serve to define the area. A more precise way would be as the torque divided by the volume.)​
None of that is going to help here since we don't know all the dimensions of the beam.
I've a nasty suspicion they're looking for the answer F sin(30), but one could equally justify F. It all depends what shape you care to make the sheared volume. For a beam, I suppose it's natural to take a rectangular volume with one axis along the beam.
iii)-L/2 * F*cos(30)
In statics, if you want the bending moment at a point of a beam you only have to consider the part of the beam from that point to one end. Just add up the moments of all the forces on that part of the beam about that point. It doesn't matter which end you choose because, things being static, the two sums of moments must be equal and opposite. In this case, it's obviously simpler to pick the free end.
iv) 2LF
Yes.
v) 2Fsin(30)
That's probably what's wanted, but you could also defend 2F.

1. What is Shear Force and Bending Moment?

Shear Force and Bending Moment are two important concepts in structural engineering that describe the internal forces and moments acting on a beam or other structural element. Shear Force is the force perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the beam, while Bending Moment is the moment that causes a beam to bend or deform.

2. How do Shear Force and Bending Moment affect structural stability?

Shear Force and Bending Moment play crucial roles in determining the strength and stability of a structure. Excessive Shear Force or Bending Moment can lead to structural failure, while properly managing these forces can ensure the safety and longevity of a structure.

3. What are the equations for calculating Shear Force and Bending Moment?

The equations for calculating Shear Force and Bending Moment involve the principles of statics and mechanics. Shear Force can be calculated by taking the negative of the slope of the shear diagram, while Bending Moment can be calculated by taking the negative of the area under the shear diagram.

4. How do I interpret a Shear Force and Bending Moment diagram?

A Shear Force diagram shows the changes in Shear Force along the length of a beam, while a Bending Moment diagram shows the changes in Bending Moment. These diagrams can help determine the maximum values of these forces and where they occur along the beam.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding Shear Force and Bending Moment?

Understanding Shear Force and Bending Moment is essential for designing and analyzing various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and even everyday objects like tables and chairs. It is also important for ensuring the safety and stability of existing structures during renovations or repairs.