Shear force diagram and bending moment diagram

In summary, the homework statement theoretically, bending moment should ends at bending moment = 0. However, the student's sketch of the graph does not follow convention and the curve is not visible.
chetzread

Homework Statement

theoretically, bending moment should ends at bending moment = 0 , am i right ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my sketch of SFD and BMD ,my bending moment doesn't return to 0 , which part of my working is wrong ... to find bending moment (M) , i get M =Vdx , where V =shear force
Vdx = area of the shear force diagram

for the BMD , I let downwrads as positive ...

Attachments

• IMG_20161016_100034.jpg
    IMG_20161016_100034.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_20161016_095952.jpg
    IMG_20161016_095952.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
or is there something wrong with the question ?

You did well, the reason why the moment didn't quite close to 0 was because you rounded off the right end reaction to 102 when it should have been 101.67. Also, by convention, the moment diagram is mirrored, it should be above the axis, but otherwise looks good and your shear diagram is good. I know you are self studying and using a book with sometimes errors, both which makes it difficult to understand this stuff, but you are to be commended for working very hard to understand the principles, nice work,

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
You did well, the reason why the moment didn't quite close to 0 was because you rounded off the right end reaction to 102 when it should have been 101.67. Also, by convention, the moment diagram is mirrored, it should be above the axis, but otherwise looks good and your shear diagram is good. I know you are self studying and using a book with sometimes errors, both which makes it difficult to understand this stuff, but you are to be commended for working very hard to understand the principles, nice work,
is it wrong to assign upwards is positive for SFD , and downwards as positive for BMD ? Or should i keep either (both upwards or downwards) as positive for BMD and SFD?

chetzread said:
is it wrong to assign upwards is positive for SFD , and downwards as positive for BMD ? Or should i keep either (both upwards or downwards) as positive for BMD and SFD?
your shear diagram follows convention. Note that the shear is getting less and less positive as you move from left to right. Accordingly, the slope of the moment diagram should be decreasingly positive, not decreasingly negative. Or another way to look at it is that the area under the Shear diagram between 2 points is the change on moment between those 2 points, which is positive, not negative.

PhanthomJay said:
your shear diagram follows convention. Note that the shear is getting less and less positive as you move from left to right ;same convention w
i mean is it a must to assign upper side of graph as positive for SFD and BMD ? or assign lower side of graph as positive for SFD and BMD ?

It's not a must but it makes life easier ...those plus and minus signs are killers.

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
can you take a look at my sketch of graph , i am not very sure about the shape of graph ...

Other than what we talked about regarding the upside down moment graph and the non closure to zero due to rounding off, both the values and shape of both the shear and monent diagrams are excellent, very good work. Oh at x= 5 on your moment graph, that should be a nice smooth curve and not a discontinuity there, I think you may have penciled in the curve so it looks a bit uncertain there.

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
Other than what we talked about regarding the upside down moment graph and the non closure to zero due to rounding off, both the values and shape of both the shear and monent diagrams are excellent, very good work. Oh at x= 5 on your moment graph, that should be a nice smooth curve and not a discontinuity there, I think you may have penciled in the curve so it looks a bit uncertain there.
ok , thanks . So , the shape of graph is correct ? at x = 5 , it's continuous , sorry , my sketch using pencil is messy.

Yes shape is excellent. I just wish you had drawn the moment diagram right side up

Likes chetzread

1. What are Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams?

Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams are graphical representations of the forces and moments acting on a structural element, such as a beam or a column. They are commonly used in structural analysis and design to visualize the internal forces and bending moments within a structure.

2. Why are Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams important?

Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams are important because they provide insight into the behavior of a structure under various loading conditions. They help engineers to determine the strength and stability of a structure and make informed decisions about its design and construction.

3. How are Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams calculated?

Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams are calculated using the principles of statics and mechanics of materials. The shear force at any point is equal to the sum of all the forces acting on one side of the point, while the bending moment is equal to the sum of the moments of all the forces about that point.

4. What do the different shapes and slopes on a Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagram represent?

The shapes and slopes on a Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagram represent the magnitude, direction, and type of internal forces and bending moments acting on the structural element. For example, a positive slope on a bending moment diagram indicates a bending moment that causes the beam to sag, while a negative slope indicates a bending moment that causes the beam to hog.

5. How are Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams used in structural design?

Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams are used in structural design to ensure that a structure can withstand the expected loads and remain stable. Engineers use these diagrams to determine the maximum stress and deflection within a structure, which helps them to select appropriate materials and dimensions for the structural elements.