1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 vectors using south, northeast, and west

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] 3 vectors using south, northeast, and west

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle undergoes the following consecutive displacements: 3.80 m south, 8.40 m northeast, and 14.0 m west. What is the resultant displacement?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This means that I have 3.80j, 8.4i, and 14.0k, right? I could then add up all of the x components and y components, right? or do I need to use the law of cos?

thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. This is a 2D problem. Conventionally you would have -3.8j for south and -14.0i for west. North East will be a vector of components of i and j. Try drawing a diagram to help you.

4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much

I drew a diagram, but the triangle does not seem to be a perfect right triangle. Wouldn't I also have 8.4k? Could you tell me what formula I would need to solve this problem? or would I need to draw it out on graph paper and measure the angles?

Vector A would be (0i+3.8j),vector B would be 8.4k , and vector C would be (14.03i+oj), right? or is the 8.4 part extra information that it is not needed?

I added up the components and got:

Vector A+B=14.03i+3.8j

R=square root of (14.03)^2+(3.8)^2=14.5

Does that look correct? How would I go about solving for the angle?

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  5. Feb 15, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The northeast vector will have i and j components. Northeast indicates the vector is 45 degrees north of east, so the components will be equal.

The other two vectors will have negative components in standard notation since i is taken to be the direction east and j is taken to be in the north direction.

Then one will use vector addition to find the resultant displacement.

6. Feb 15, 2008 #5
    Thank you very much

I found the x and y components of the northeast vector to be 5.9. I then added up the i's and j's and got 19.93 for the i's and 9.7 for the j's.

Magnitude=square root (19.93)^2+(9.7)^2=22.2

direction=45°

Does that look right?

Thank you very much

7. Feb 15, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

South and west are negative, so for the i's it would be 5.9 + (-14.0) etc.

8. Feb 19, 2008 #7
    Thank you very much

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?