1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3d hologram in vacuum help ?

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    3d hologram in vacuum ... help plz ?

hi everyone

I am a software engineer and i want to make a project based on laser or light and don't know a lot in laser (almost nothing), so i will discuss the project i want to do and i will ask some questions about it please?

I want to make 3d hologram in air by generating the 3d object in computer and it is very easy then convert it to signals and transfer it to a 3d device that show my object on air.

Some one told me to view laser or light it needs medium to view it ( he means i cant view it in vacuum) but another one told me that i can view the laser in vacuum by intersecting 2 laser beams so that the intensity increases at the intersected point then it will be visible to the eye.

i want to ask some questions

1- Is the intersected point of 2 laser beams visible to our eyes?
    2- If 1 is true . is there anyone did it before and is there any restrictions to do it (assume i don't know anything about physics laser when answer this question).
    3- Is there any other way to view 3d holograms in vacuum ?
    4- Is it possible for me (as a software engineer) to do it in 2 months in case it is a possible project idea.

I really need your help because i want to decide quickly to make this project or not because i have deadlines.

Thanks in advance
    bye

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: 3d hologram in vacuum ... help plz ?

No. Two light beams will simply pass through each other.
    To view a hologram you need to pass light through a film that contains a diffraction pattern. The viewer has to view the light that passes through the film.

AM

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Re: 3d hologram in vacuum ... help plz ?

Try doing a web search for 3d micro mirror array imaging. I think this is as close as you can get to a virtual 3d image directly to a viewer's eyes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook