1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Schrodinger Equation of a Wire for Energy Levels - Quantum Physics

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a wire with length a and square base b x b (where a >> b), show that the first 1700 (approximately) levels of the electron in the wire are identical for the one dimensional box, when a = 1m and b = 1mm.

2. Relevant equations

I know that the allowed energies of a mass M in a 3D rectangular rigid box with sides a, b, and c are:

E1 = ħ^2 * (Pi)^2 / 2M * (nx^2 / a^2 + ny^2 / b^2 + nz^2 / c^2)

The energy of a 1-D box with length a is similar, being

E2 = ħ^2 * (Pi)^2 / 2M * (n^2 / a^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

For the purpose of this problem the energy of my wire is:

E = ħ^2 * (Pi)^2 / 2M * (nx^2 / a^2 + ny^2 / b^2 + nz^2 / b^2)

Now, I know by inspection and common sense that a long and very thing wire can be considered as a one dimensional system, which is used by the 1D Schrodinger equation.

The problem is that I'm not quite sure how it works out mathematically. If a >> b, then doesn't this mean we generally ignore the a component of E1, since the b part basically dominates the energy? But all the same, you can't do that for the equation for the 1D box.

It's all just a bit confusing for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    Assuming your formula for E is correct calculate the energy level for

nx, ny, nz = 1700, 1, 1 and nx, ny, nz = 1, 2, 1

they should be roughly equal?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook