3D sphere oblique impacts calculations

In summary, the conversation is about expanding collisions from 2D to 3D in a physics simulator. The question is how to create a relative axis for calculating the final velocity of 3D sphere collisions, considering factors such as rigidity, coefficient of restitution, and friction. The suggested approach is to use the momentum and kinetic energy equations to calculate the final velocity.
Logan Blinco
Hello,

Im creating a physics simulator and I am struggling to expand my collisions from 2D to 3D. In 2D the velocity only changes parallel to the line of center so I presume this is the same for 3D.I can get a Cartesian equation of line but I am not sure how to get the velocity component relative to this line.

So my question is how can I create a relative axis which would let me use linear momentum conservation or more generically how to Calculate the final velocity of 3D sphere collisions.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends: Rigid or not rigid? Elastic or inelastic? Friction or no friction? ...

DrStupid said:
It depends: Rigid or not rigid? Elastic or inelastic? Friction or no friction? ...
Rigid.Using coefficient of Restitution and no friction.

Logan Blinco said:
Rigid.Using coefficient of Restitution and no friction.

OK, let's say p is the momentum of one of the two sphere in their common rest frame. Than the corresponding initial total kinetic energy is

[itex]E = \frac{{p^2 }}{2} \cdot \left( {\frac{1}{{m_1 }} + \frac{1}{{m_1 }}} \right)[/itex]

During the collision the the momentum

[itex]\Delta p = k \cdot \Delta r[/itex]

is exchanged, where ##\Delta r## is the distance between the spheres. This results in the final kinetic energy

[itex]E' = \frac{{\left( {p + k \cdot \Delta r} \right)^2 }}{2} \cdot \left( {\frac{1}{{m_1 }} + \frac{1}{{m_1 }}} \right) = e^2 \cdot E[/itex]

where e is the coefficient of restitution. Now you just need to solve for k and and calculate the resulting velocities.

What is a 3D sphere oblique impact calculation?

A 3D sphere oblique impact calculation is a mathematical calculation used to determine the trajectory and impact point of a spherical object when it collides with another object at an angle.

Why are 3D sphere oblique impact calculations important?

3D sphere oblique impact calculations are important because they help scientists and engineers understand the behavior of objects during collisions, which is crucial for designing and testing structures and materials.

What factors are considered in a 3D sphere oblique impact calculation?

Some of the factors that are typically considered in a 3D sphere oblique impact calculation include the mass, velocity, and angle of impact of the objects involved, as well as the material properties and shape of the objects.

How accurate are 3D sphere oblique impact calculations?

The accuracy of 3D sphere oblique impact calculations depends on the complexity of the collision and the accuracy of the input parameters. In general, these calculations can provide a good estimation of the impact trajectory and point, but they may not account for all of the variables and uncertainties involved in a real-life collision.

What are some applications of 3D sphere oblique impact calculations?

3D sphere oblique impact calculations have many applications in various fields, including aerospace engineering, automotive design, and sports equipment development. They are also used in accident reconstruction and forensic investigations to determine the cause and severity of collisions.