4-velocity of an observed object in GRT

• Thread starter birulami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observed
In summary, the conversation discusses equations in general relativity and their relation to velocity and proper time. The equation (1) shows a tradeoff between speed through space and speed through time, with slower movement resulting in faster aging. The conversation also explores the possibility of simplifying the equation to have all the ##dt## terms in the denominator and discusses when the cross terms with ##dt## would disappear. It is noted that the tradeoff between speed through time and space is frame-dependent and can vary depending on the chosen coordinates.
birulami
In general relativity we have [itex]c^2ds^2 = c^2dt^2 - dx^2 -dy^2-dz^2[/itex]. From this we can derive the not commonly used equation:
[tex]
(c\frac{ds}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dx}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dy}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dz}{dt})^2 =c^2
\qquad\qquad\qquad (1)
[/tex] I think this is the "velocity" squared of an object relative to an observer who's own proper time is [itex]t[/itex]. I find this equation slightly remarkable, because of the constancy of this relative velocity which forces a tradeoff between speed through space and speed through time [itex]ds/dt[/itex]: the slower you move the faster you get older ;).

Now I wonder what the same would be for general relativity. The respective equation for [itex]ds[/itex] is [itex]ds^2 = g_{\mu\nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu[/itex]. With [itex]i,j\in\{1,2,3\}[/itex] and [itex]t:=x^0[/itex] I can expand the sum on the right a bit more explicit to get:
[tex]
ds^2= g_{ij} dx^i dx^j + 2 g_{0j} dt dx^j + g_{00}dt^2

[/tex] There I have the [itex]dt^2[/itex] again and could just divide by it, where it not for the mixed term. Is it possible to "simplify" this equation more into the direction of (1) such that all the ##dt## are in the denominator? Under which circumstances would the ##g_{0j}## be zero such the cross terms with ##dt## disappear gracefully?

Physics news on Phys.org
birulami said:
[tex]
ds^2= g_{ij} dx^i dx^j + 2 g_{0j} dt dx^j + g_{00}dt^2
[/tex] There I have the [itex]dt^2[/itex] again and could just divide by it, where it not for the mixed term. Is it possible to "simplify" this equation more into the direction of (1) such that all the ##dt## are in the denominator?
You can write it as[tex]
\left( \frac{ds}{dt} \right)^2= g_{ij} \frac{dx^i}{dt} \frac{dx^j}{dt} + 2 g_{0j} \frac{dx^j}{dt} + g_{00}
[/tex]You have a quadratic form instead of a sum of squares.
birulami said:
Under which circumstances would the ##g_{0j}## be zero such the cross terms with ##dt## disappear gracefully?
When the 0th coordinate is orthogonal to all the other coordinates. This means that for any given direction the one-way coordinate speed of light equals the two-way coordinate speed of light.

birulami said:
a tradeoff between speed through space and speed through time ds/dtds/dt: the slower you move the faster you get older

But this is frame-dependent, because the time ##t## is coordinate time; you can change the tradeoff between your "speed through time" and your speed through space just by picking different coordinates. This will create problems if you try to read too much physical meaning into this "speed through time".

1. What is the concept of 4-velocity in General Relativity Theory (GRT)?

The concept of 4-velocity in GRT refers to a mathematical representation of the motion of an observed object in a four-dimensional spacetime. It takes into account both the object's spatial velocity (3-velocity) and its time component, giving a complete description of its movement in curved spacetime.

2. How is 4-velocity calculated in GRT?

In GRT, 4-velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of the object's position in spacetime with respect to its proper time. This gives a vector with four components (three spatial and one time component) that represents the object's motion in spacetime.

3. What is the significance of 4-velocity in GRT?

The 4-velocity is an important concept in GRT as it allows us to describe the motion of an object in a curved spacetime, where the laws of physics are governed by Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is also a crucial component in understanding the concept of spacetime curvature and the effects of gravity on the motion of objects.

4. How does 4-velocity differ from 3-velocity in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, 3-velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object in three-dimensional space. However, in GRT, 4-velocity includes an additional time component, taking into account the effects of spacetime curvature on an object's motion. This allows for a more accurate description of an object's movement in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. Can the 4-velocity of an observed object change in GRT?

Yes, the 4-velocity of an observed object in GRT can change due to various factors such as the object's acceleration, changes in the curvature of spacetime, and the presence of strong gravitational fields. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where 3-velocity remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.