Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

400v Transformer for Geiger circuit

  1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to find a transformer for this circuit:


    I don't really know what to look for but I did find this:


    If that outputs 200v can I just put two together and it will double the voltage?

    Sorry if I'm completely off base here, but I also don't understand how AC would work in this circuit if the rest is in DC?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Welcome to the PF.

    Can't you just contact the PocketMagic folks to see if the transformer can be purchased somewhere? And no, you can't use 2 of the 200V transformers somehow in the DC-DC circuit.

    And with your limited knowledge of electronics, do you really think it's safe for you to be working with a 400Vdc circuit? Why not start with safer projects until you build up your knowledge?
  4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the kind welcome.

    Honestly, I tried to find out how to contact them but I didn't put to much effort into it because the circuit I am using is not their updated schematic.

    The reason why I'm working on this is because it's for a school project and the way the rules work I can either do this or fail (it's a fail this fail the class kind of project).

    Well, thanks anyways
  5. Nov 13, 2012 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    So you are required to make a Geiger counter? Perhaps you can do some more searching to find a different schematic that has more info and parts sourcing info...

    I like to use Google Images for this kind of search. In this case the search terms would be Geiger counter schematic.
  6. Nov 13, 2012 #5
    When I went looking at different schematics the one I chose looks to be the simplest and take up the least amount of space. I found all the parts too just not what is essentially the most important part.

    Actually, I ordered all the parts because I thought the Zener diodes raised the voltage and I couldn't quite understand what the transformer was for. Now I see my mistake...

    I just don't know the first place to look to even purchase a transformer that has those specifications.
  7. Nov 13, 2012 #6


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    One way to search for typical examples of a component is to go to DigiKey.com and use their Parametric Search feature. I went to DigiKey and did a search on Flyback, then clicked into the DC-DC transformer selection, and searched on the Flyback type of transformer. That got me here:


    Down near the bottom of the table you can see some photos of typical small flyback transformers, as well as listings of some typical manufacturers. You might go to those manufacturers' websites and search on the Mfg P/Ns listed at DigiKey, to see what their datasheets look like. They are typically paired up with IC manufacturer's DC-DC converter ICs, so you can also look at the websites of TI, Linear Technology, etc., to see the application circuits typically used to drive these transformers...
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook