1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4th moment, show that E[X-mu]^4 is equal to

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    X is a random variable with moments, E[X], E[X^2], E[X^3], and so forth. Prove this is true for i) X is discrete, ii) X is continuous

2. Relevant equations
    E[X-mu]^4 = E(X^4) - 4[E(X)][E(X^3)] + 6[E(X)]^2[E(X^2)] - 3[E(X)]^4
    where mu=E(X)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been trying to generalize expanding the variance, E[(X-mu)^2], into the above result with no success. Not sure about the discrete and continuous proofs either. Anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

EX = m is a number, not a random quantity. So, expand (X-m)^4 using the binomial theorem.

RGV

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    I got the expansion, thanks. I'm not sure why I need to split the cases for continuous/discrete either. It's asked in the question and I don't know how to prove with continuous/discrete separately.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No such split is needed.

RGV

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5
    I know that the one equation will cover both the discrete and continuous cases, but the question specifically asks to show each case individually and I'm not sure what the specific summation and integral that I have to work out is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook