1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments from characteristic function geometric distribution

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi,

I have the probabilty density: ##p_{n}=(1-p)^{n}p , n=0,1,2... ##

and I am asked to find the characteristic function: ##p(k)= <e^{ikn}> ## and then use this to determine the mean and variance of the distribution.

2. Relevant equations

I have the general expression for the characteristic function : ##\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-ik)^m}{m!} <x^{m}> ## * , from which can equate coefficients of ##k## to find the moments.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have ## <e^{-ikn}>=\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n-0} (1-p)^{n}p e^{-ikn} ##

I understand the solution given in my notes which is that this is equal to, after some rearranging etc, expanding out using taylor :

## 1 + \frac{(1-p)}{ p} (-k + 1/2 (-ik)^{2} + O(k^3) ) + \frac{(1-p)^{2}} { p^2 } ( (-ik)^{2} + O(k^3))##
    and then equating coefficients according to *

However my method was to do the following , and I'm unsure why it is wrong:

## <e^{-ikn}>=\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0} (1-p)^{n} p e^{-ikn} = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0} (1-p)^{n}p \frac{(-ik)^n}{n!} ##

And so comparing to * ## \implies ##

## \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0} (1-p)^{n}p = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0} <x^{n}> ##

Anyone tell me what I've done wrong? thank you, greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simplify:
    $$p (1-p)^n e^{-ikn} = p x^n, \; \text{where} \; x = (1-p)e^{-ik}$$
    Now just sum the geometric series ##\sum x^n##.

4. Jan 8, 2017 #3
    Yeah that's fine, and in the end you get the 'solution given' which I said I understand. That's what's been done before expanding out.

My problem was wondering what is wrong with the method I post after that...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  5. Jan 8, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to be saying that ##p(1-p)^n e^{-ikn}## is the same as ##p(1-p)^n (-ik)^n/n!##, but this is obviously false.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted