4th order Maclaurin Polynomial - Help with error approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3rd order polynomial approximation for e^3x and finding the upper bound for the error of the approximation. The error is determined by using the fourth derivative of f(x) and evaluating it at a certain value. There were some errors in the calculations, but after corrections, the bounds for the error are between 0.04167 and 0.11326. The final calculation for the error is 0.05, which is different from the original estimated value of 0.5.
opticaltempest
I have the the follow 3rd order polynomial approximation for e^3x

[tex]
f(x) = e^{3x} \approx 1 + 3x + \frac{9}{2}x^2 + \frac{9}{2}x^3
[/tex]

In an earlier part of the problem, I found

[tex]
f\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right) = e^{3\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\approx 1 + 3\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right) + \frac{9}{2}\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)^2 + \frac{9}{2}\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)^3 = \frac{8}{3} \approx 2.667
[/tex]

I need to find the upper bound for the error of the above approximation.

[tex]
f(x) = e^{3x} = 1 + 3x + \frac{9}{2}x^2 + \frac{9}{2}x^3 + R_3 (x)
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
R_3 \left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right) = \frac{{f^{\left( 4 \right)} \left( z \right)}}{{4!}}\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)^4 \\
{\rm{where }}0 < z < \frac{1}{3} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]
f^{\left( 4 \right)} (z) = 27e^{3z}
[/tex]

So the bounds on my error

[tex]
\frac{{27e^{3(0)} }}{{4!}} < \frac{{27e^{3z} }}{{4!}} < \frac{{27e^{3\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)} }}{{4!}}
[/tex]

Which means my error for this function when evaluated at 1/3 is
somewhere between 1.125 and ~3.058. This must be wrong
because f(1/3) is approx. 2.67.
(e - 2.67) is approx 0.5.

I believe the bounds that I found are saying that my error must be
greater than 1.125 and less than 3.058. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks

EDIT: I found some errors while looking over the problem more carefully.
Please let me know if it looks correct now. Thanks. My corrections are
below.

[tex]
f^{\left( 4 \right)} (z) = 81e^{3z}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{{81e^{3(0)} }}{{4!}}\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)^4 < \frac{{81e^{3(z)} }}{{4!}}\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)^4 < \frac{{81e^{3\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)} }}{{4!}}\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)^4
[/tex]

[tex]
\approx 0.04167 < \frac{{81e^{3(z)} }}{{4!}}\left( {\frac{1}{3}} \right)^4 < \approx 0.11326
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(e - 2.67) is approx 0.5.
This still looks wrong.

Oops,

(e - 2.67) is approx. 0.05 not 0.5

What is a 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial?

A 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial is a mathematical expression that approximates a function using a series of terms. It is derived from the Maclaurin series, which is a special case of the Taylor series. The 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial includes terms up to the 4th degree and is used for error approximation in calculus.

Why is a 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial useful for error approximation?

A 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial is useful for error approximation because it provides a close approximation of a function's value at a specific point. By including terms up to the 4th degree, it can better capture the behavior of the function near that point, resulting in a smaller error compared to lower order polynomials.

How do you calculate a 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial?

A 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial can be calculated by using the formula: f(x) ≈ f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)/2!)x^2 + (f'''(0)/3!)x^3 + (f''''(0)/4!)x^4. The derivatives of the function at x=0, up to the 4th degree, are needed to plug into this formula. This can be done manually or by using a calculator or computer program.

How does a 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial help with error approximation?

A 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial helps with error approximation by providing an estimate of the error in a function's value at a specific point. The difference between the actual value and the 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial approximation is known as the error term. By using this polynomial, we can get a better understanding of how accurate our approximation is and how much the function may deviate from the estimate.

What are the limitations of using a 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial for error approximation?

While a 4th order Maclaurin Polynomial can provide a good approximation for functions near a specific point, it may not accurately represent the function for values further away. This is because the polynomial is based on a limited number of terms and does not account for the entire behavior of the function. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the x-value gets further from 0. Therefore, it is important to consider the limitations and use other methods for error approximation when necessary.