5 rep of SU(5) under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1)

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of the 5 representation of SU(5) into an outer product of representations of SU(3), SU(2), and U(1). The notation (a,b,c) represents the triplet of SU(3), singlet of SU(2), and weak hypercharge -1/3. References for understanding this concept include Wikipedia and Georgi's Lie Algebras In Particle Physics, with a simpler example of SU(3)\to SU(2)\times U(1) discussed on page 183.
LAHLH
Hi,

What does is mean to say under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) the 5 representation of SU(5) transforms as

[tex] 5\to(3,1,-1/3) \oplus (1,2,+1/2) [/tex]

I can't work out what this (a,b,c) notation means exactly; could anyone point me to a link or chapter of a book that could explain what's going on here?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This decomposes the representation into an outer product of representations of SU(3), SU(2) and SU(1). For example (3,1,-1/3) means 3 ⊗ 1 ⊗ -1/3, the triplet of SU(3), the singlet of SU(2) and weak hypercharge -1/3.

Bill_K gave the answer for what the notation means. As for references, you can start with
Wikipedia. The SU(5) model is known as the Georgi–Glashow model and is a simple example of a GUT.

Probably the best intro textbook for this topic is Georgi's Lie Algebras In Particle Physics, where both the SU(5) and SO(10) GUTs are discussed in detail.

So I understand how to do a Clebsch-Gordon decomp and the rules of Young-Tableaux, for example I'm happy doing things like [itex]8\otimes 8=\bar{10} \oplus 8 \oplus 8\oplus 1 [/itex] (well reasonably happy..)...so here we are just decomposing the outer product of two or more representations of a single group into the direct sum of other representations of the group.

I started having a look at p183 of Georgi where he discusses [itex] SU(3)\to SU(2)\times U(1) [/itex], as I think this is a simpler example of the mathematics I need to understand my original post? I'm not sure I follow what is going on in this section (12.3) however, despite feeling I reasonably well understand the previous Young Tableaux stuff. What is he doing to obtain the figure associated with (12.16) and (12.17)?

1. What is the significance of SU(5) under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) in particle physics?

SU(5) under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) is a unified theory known as the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions in the universe. It combines the strong nuclear force (SU(3)), weak nuclear force (SU(2)), and electromagnetic force (U(1)) into a single framework.

2. What does the "5 rep" in SU(5) represent?

In SU(5), the "5 rep" refers to the fundamental representation of the group, which is a 5-dimensional vector space. This representation is used to describe the five fundamental particles in the Standard Model: up and down quarks, electron, electron neutrino, and the Higgs boson.

3. How does SU(5) predict the existence of new particles?

SU(5) predicts the existence of new particles through the process of symmetry breaking. This means that at high energies, all particles are massless and have the same properties. However, as the universe cools and the symmetry is broken, new particles are created with different masses and properties.

4. What is the role of the gauge bosons in SU(5) under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1)?

The gauge bosons in SU(5) under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) are responsible for mediating the interactions between particles. The strong nuclear force is mediated by gluons (SU(3)), the weak nuclear force by W and Z bosons (SU(2)), and the electromagnetic force by photons (U(1)). The Higgs boson (SU(2)) is also a gauge boson that gives mass to particles through the Higgs mechanism.

5. How does SU(5) under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) explain the unification of forces?

SU(5) under SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) explains the unification of forces by showing that at high energies, all the forces are the same and can be described by a single unified theory. This theory is then broken down into the three separate forces as the universe cools. This unification of forces is a major goal of particle physics and helps to explain the fundamental interactions in the universe.