555 Timer RC Charging Capacitor Conundrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the power usage of the external RC circuitry of a 555 timer over one cycle. The calculation involves finding the average current between 1/3Vcc and 2/3Vcc using the equation (4.5/101000 ⋅ e^(- x/0.4747), where 4.5 is Vcc, 101000 is the total resistance in Ohms, and 0.4747 is the RC time constant. The discussion also touches on the relation between power and frequency, capacitance, and change in voltage, as well as the duty cycle and average current.
MathsDude69
Hello. I am currently trying to evaluate just how much power the external RC circuitry of a 555 timer uses over 1 cycle. Whilst the capacitor is charging the current falls exponentially. Naturally the voltage also falls through the resistors but this is couteracted by the rise in voltage of the capacitor as it charges. Basically what I am trying to find out is whether there is a way to get an average current reading between 1/3Vcc and 2/3Vcc using the equation
(4.5/101000 ⋅ e^(- x/0.4747)

(4.5 = Vcc)
(101000 is the total resistance in Ohms)
(0.4747 is the RC time constant)

Would the median value suffice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
[tex]P=fC \Delta V^2[/tex]

I don't mean to sound dense or anything but I've never tried this stuff before. The way I read your answer is:

Power = Frequency x Capacitance x Change in Voltage Squared

Is this right? And if so how does this tie in the the duty cycle?

LTSpice (and probably other simulation programs) have the NE555 in its library. Try it.

MathsDude69 said:
I don't mean to sound dense or anything but I've never tried this stuff before. The way I read your answer is:

Power = Frequency x Capacitance x Change in Voltage Squared

Is this right? And if so how does this tie in the the duty cycle?

Right. The power dissipated in charging and discharging the capacitor is independent of the duty cycle.

The current, at any time t, is obtained from constructing a piecewise continuous function from

[tex]v(t) = v_i \left( 1 - exp(-t/RC) \right)[/tex]
and
[tex]v(t) = v_f \left( exp(-t/RC) \right)[/tex]
where
[tex]i(t) = C \frac{dv}{dt} .[/tex]

You might be better off using the average,

[tex]\overline{I} = C \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta T} .[/tex]

Last edited:
It is useful to review the astable NE555 circuit at http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/NE555-Calculator.phtml
Scroll down to circuit model at bottom of page.The capacitor charges through the series resistance RA plus RB, but the charging time fraction (duty cycle) of charging time depends on the ratio (RA + RB)/(RA + 2 RB), so the average current depends on the ratio of RA/RB). Furthermore, although the frequency remains constant for given values of RA, RB, ad C, the average current increases linearly with the applied voltage VP.

1. What is a "555 Timer RC Charging Capacitor Conundrum"?

The "555 Timer RC Charging Capacitor Conundrum" refers to a phenomenon where a 555 timer, a popular integrated circuit used in electronic circuits, does not behave as expected when used in conjunction with a RC capacitor circuit. This can result in unexpected delays or timing inaccuracies.

2. How does a 555 timer work?

A 555 timer is a type of integrated circuit that can be used as a timer, oscillator, or sequential circuit. It has three main components: a comparator, a flip-flop, and a discharge transistor. The timing function is controlled by the charging and discharging of an external RC capacitor.

3. What is the role of the RC capacitor in a 555 timer circuit?

The RC capacitor is used in a 555 timer circuit to control the timing of the output signal. The capacitor is charged through a resistor, and when it reaches a certain voltage, the comparator triggers the flip-flop to change its state, which in turn changes the output signal of the timer.

4. What is the "conundrum" in the 555 timer RC charging capacitor conundrum?

The conundrum refers to the unexpected behavior of the 555 timer when used in conjunction with a RC capacitor. This can include delays, timing inaccuracies, and other issues that are not present when the timer is used without the capacitor.

5. How can the 555 timer RC charging capacitor conundrum be resolved?

There are a few potential solutions to the 555 timer RC charging capacitor conundrum. These include using a different type of capacitor, adjusting the values of the resistor and capacitor, or using a different type of timer circuit altogether. It is important to carefully design and test the circuit to ensure accurate and reliable performance.