58th derivative of (1+x^3)^30 at x=0

  • Thread starter Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
freshman2013
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



find the 58th derivative of (1+x^3)^(30) at zero (The Answer is zero)

Homework Equations



The binomial series expansion
the maclaurin series (f^(n)(0)/n!)x^n

The Attempt at a Solution


So I expanded the given equation into the binomial series and at at the 19th term, I got 30(30-1)...(30-19+1)/57! * x^(57). But I don't get how that gets me any closer to the answer of zero.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
freshman2013 said:

Homework Statement



find the 58th derivative of (1+x^3)^(30) at zero (The Answer is zero)

Homework Equations



The binomial series expansion
the maclaurin series (f^(n)(0)/n!)x^n

The Attempt at a Solution


So I expanded the given equation into the binomial series and at at the 19th term, I got 30(30-1)...(30-19+1)/57! * x^(57). But I don't get how that gets me any closer to the answer of zero.

First just figure out what powers of x could have a nonzero 58th derivative at zero. Try a few.