1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

6th form

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    I know this may be a dumb question, but what are the best options to take at a 6th form to go into engineering at Degree level

Maths and Physics are obvious ones, but any others??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not excatly sure how the new A-level sytem works so it but maths and physics definitley, also if you have the option do a mechanics AS level (which may be done as part of a further maths A level). Apart from that your probably quite free to choose.

Though I would also advice you to go to the UCAS site and have a look at the different enginerring dgrees and which subjects the y require for entry:

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3
    thanks, it's just that i'm filling my application form in, and i have chosen maths with mechanics, and physics, as well as chemistry, and Government and Politics, i have done engineering at GCSE level, so i already know some basics
  5. Nov 16, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maths and physics are, as you say, by far the most valuable choices. Consider chemistry (especially useful for any materials or thermodynamics modules you might take), and perhaps design & technology if your 6th form allows it, although this is a very time consuming A level. Finally, and you might not like this, - further maths! It will be hard work now, but will save you a shedload of effort in 1st year. There's more maths in an engineering degree than anything else, - there is not a SINGLE module in my degree which doesn't make use of A level maths to some extent.

Also, if you're in any doubt, just give the admissions tutor of some good universities a bell, they're always more than happy to talk to you guys.
  6. Nov 17, 2004 #5
    Thanks for the help, it seems that Maths Physics and Chemistry are the main choices,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?