1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball is swung in a circular path

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.5 kg ball is swung in a circular path from a 80 cm long rope, attached to a vertical pole.
    A. What is the speed of the ball theta (between the pole and rope) is 40 deg?
    B. What is the KE of the ball at theta = 40 deg?
    C. The ball slows down and the KE drops to 50% of the value in (B). What is the new value of theta?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    centripetal acceleration = V^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

A.
    Fy = 0
    Tcos(theta) = mg
    Fx = mv^2/r
    Tsin(theta) = mv^2/r - > V = sqrt(g*r*tan(theta)) = 2.056 m/s
    B. KE = 0.5 *m*v^2 = 1.057151179
    C. I get all the have to new velocity but i don't know how to get the angle... I need some pointers.

Also, i am not sure if this is the right approach.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello jazzy, :welcome:

Looks like the right approach. A few remarks: KE = 1.06 J (don't forget the units and don't give many more digits than the given variables have -- but if the first digit is a one, then give one more).

For C, you have the same equilibrium equation (##\ v^2 = g\, r \tan\theta\ ##), only now v is given and ##\theta## has to be determined. Your problem is then the goniometric equation when you put in ##r = L \sin\theta## (L is the length of the rope).

If you have no way to solve this, perhaps you are supposed to find the answer with trial and error ?

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3
    Yea, i get suck at the trig. And, it's definitely not trial and error. Trying different reference frame to see if I can get rid of a trig.

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What trig equation do you get? Something like sin(θ)tan(θ)=value? There is an analytic way to solve that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  6. Mar 22, 2016 #5
    (Sin^2(theta))/( cos(theta)) = some number. I tried using some trig identities but nothing seemed to work. As I write this, I think I could've solved it, cuz that also equals (1 - cos^ 2(theta))/ cos(theta) = something and set x = cos(theta) and sove the quadratic. But that will give two answers... I'll solve it later. But if you have any othersuggestions, please let me know.

7. Mar 22, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is the method I had in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted