Is Dieting or Exercise More Effective for Burning Fat?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: Aerobic exercise like walking or running will help to decrease body fat, however if someone is trying to lose weight they should also try to eat less and/or do more cardio.
zoobyshoe said:
These seem to be the explanation for Jason's Magic Fast Metabolism. Having more muscle burns more calories in and of itself.

I think the extra kcal burned is just something around 20kcal/pound of muscle if not less. Dont quote me on that number but its nothing magical. I haven't noticed that much of a difference in my metabolism over the last 3 years even though I have added around 25ibs of lean body mass to my frame.

according to this site its only 3-4kcal/ib of muscle
http://www.optimalhealthpartner.com/Media/Myth of muscle as calorie burner.htm
I have no way of knowing how accurate it is though.

Biology news on Phys.org
Azael said:
I think the extra kcal burned is just something around 20kcal/pound of muscle if not less. Dont quote me on that number but its nothing magical. I haven't noticed that much of a difference in my metabolism over the last 3 years even though I have added around 25ibs of lean body mass to my frame.

according to this site its only 3-4kcal/ib of muscle
http://www.optimalhealthpartner.com/Media/Myth of muscle as calorie burner.htm
I have no way of knowing how accurate it is though.
That site, if accurate, essentially debunks the notion that a lot of muscle burns a lot of calories without doing anything special. The advantage of a large muscle mass for calorie burning is quite negligible.

What's kcal mean? You're writing "3-4kcal" while the sit says "3-4 calories".

1 Calorie = 1 kilocalorie(kcal) = 1000 calories, but...
Colloquially, and in nutrition and food labelling, the term "calorie" almost always refers to the kilogram calorie. This applies only to English text; if an energy measurement is given using a unit symbol then the scientific practice prevails there. A convention of capitalising "Calorie" to refer to the kilogram calorie, with uncapitalised "calorie" referring to the gram calorie, is sometimes proposed, but neither recognized in any official standards, nor commonly followed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilocalorie

Crazy, eh? I seem to remember that they are more fond of using the term "kcal" in England than in the U.S. - I think I remember seeing it on the food labels, but it has been a long time since I was over there. Can someone tell me if that's correct?

Hi,

It was a forgotten time of great Calorie = 1000 little calories.