A bit of a basic question: bouyancy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a boat floating in water and whether the gravity would affect its position if altered. It is concluded that the boat would still float at the same level due to the constant mass and the buoyant force being equal to the weight of the object. It is also mentioned that this principle would not apply to an object resting on a solid substance that deforms plastically.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
(This isn't a homework question before you ask- it just came up in something I was reading.)

Am I right in thinking that a boat floating in water would float neither higher nor lower if the gravity were altered, as its mass would remain constant?
Would the same remain true if an object were resting on a solid substance that deforms plastically?

Physics news on Phys.org
The just-off-the-top-of-my-head response would be that you're right because the water would be denser in a higher gravity field, and thus offer more resistance to being displaced. I'm really not sure, though.

matthyaouw said:
Am I right in thinking that a boat floating in water would float neither higher nor lower if the gravity were altered, as its mass would remain constant?
That's correct. For an object to float, the buoyant force (the weight of displaced water, which equals [itex]\rho V_{(disp)} g[/itex]) must equal the weight of the object ([itex]mg[/itex]). The volume of water displaced does not depend on the strength of gravity.

Would the same remain true if an object were resting on a solid substance that deforms plastically?
No.

Thanks for your help.

FAQ: A bit of a basic question: bouyancy

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in the fluid.

2. What factors affect buoyancy?

The factors that affect buoyancy are the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the gravitational force acting on the object.

3. How is buoyancy calculated?

Buoyancy is calculated by subtracting the weight of the displaced fluid from the weight of the object. This is known as Archimedes' principle.

4. What is the relationship between buoyancy and density?

The relationship between buoyancy and density is inverse - as the density of an object increases, its buoyancy decreases. This is why heavy objects tend to sink in water.

5. How does buoyancy apply to ships and boats?

Buoyancy is a crucial principle in the design and functionality of ships and boats. The shape and weight of a ship's hull and the volume of water displaced by the hull are all factors that determine its buoyancy and ability to float on the water's surface.